DePersia Bailer questions

wjejr

Hello fellow Sunfishers. I recently acquired a NOS DePersia bailer. I have a couple of questions:

1. The plastic bailer that is in the boat now came with a rubber O ring that fit between the bailer and the bottom of the boat. The DePersia bailer came with a 1/16" flat rubber washer and an O ring. Can someone tell me where the washer and O ring should go?

2. Can I paint the bailer to ward off corrosion, or in lieu of that maybe use Boeshield regularly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20141021_091955.jpg
    IMG_20141021_091955.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 40
The "O" ring goes between the bailer and the bottom of the hull The flat washer goes in the cockpit. The bailer can be painted, but the real problem is the large nut seizing on the threaded bailer shank, especially if you sail in salt water. Put some lock tite
goop on the threads and a few times a year, loosen and then retighten the nut to prevent it seizing.

Some people believe this bailer works better than the plastic version and it is certainly stronger. Finding a new one is almost
unheard of as they have not been made for decades. Good find.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Put some lock tite
goop
on the threads and a few times a year, loosen and then retighten the nut to prevent it seizing.
Alan is correct: I failed to mention that one of the anti-seize products happens to be marketed under the "Lock-Tite" brand. (Although my one ancient tube of the "Lock-Tite" brand is about half the size of a spark plug—it's the other, unknown brand tube that is somewhat bigger than a tube of toothpaste, and should last forever).

Back