Deck Scrap Piece

abgates

Anybody know where I could get a scrap piece of fiberglass decking so I can practice attaching trim, drilling holes, etc. Maybe a piece about 8" x 10" for easy mailing? A larger piece or 3-4 pieces would be even better.

Do you have pictures of the boat you are worling on for us see? Members will be able to help with your project, rivet material size, etc. Many have repaired trim. Sunfish rivets only go through the top of edge trim and the glass but not through the bottom trim.

Do you have pictures of the boat you are worling on for us see? Members will be able to help with your project, rivet material size, etc. Many have repaired trim. Sunfish rivets only go through the top of edge trim and the glass but not through the bottom trim.
Here are some photos

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Anyone who has installed an inspection port has saved that piece of fiberglass for eventual use. Right?
;)

Some members here regularly scrap-out Sunfish. They'd have an ample supply of what you need--but it's timely on availability.

Message members Alan Glos or Sailcraftri.

Anyone who has installed an inspection port has saved that piece of fiberglass for eventual use. Right?
;)

Some members here regularly scrap-out Sunfish. They'd have an ample supply of what you need--but it's timely on availability.

Message members Alan Glos or Sailcraftri.
And don't forget the Mother Of Sailboats, Mama H Chicago. :rolleyes:

She's probably got an assortment of Sunfish fiberglass from lands far and wide!

- Andy

You really don't need a piece of a Sunfish to practice drilling and riveting. If you want to practice, you can get a small piece of luan or paneling about 1/8 inch thick at a homecenter. That is about the thickness of Sunfish fiberglass and you can practice on that.

But I really think you are overthinking this. It's a small project and hard to go wrong.

You really don't need a piece of a Sunfish to practice drilling and riveting. If you want to practice, you can get a small piece of luan or paneling about 1/8 inch thick at a homecenter. That is about the thickness of Sunfish fiberglass and you can practice on that.

But I really think you are overthinking this. It's a small project and hard to go wrong.
Hey, have you been talking to my husband? He always says I'm overthinking things. Hah hah!

Back