deck paint

jerseyfish

I have tried every product on my 68 sunfish to clean and restore fiberglas, none gave the finish I wanted. Decided to paint the deck. Going to use Interlux Toplac, unless someone has had better luck with something else.

Dan,
Personally, I do not like paint on fiberglass, except to hide a mismatched repair. On my '69 SF, I used the following method (will take a little time and some work), found on the Nat'l SF Class Page, "Tips and Tricks", look under "Gelcoat Repair" and follow steps 10 thru to the end. If all hardware (cleats, bridle eyes, fairlead/pully, splashguard and bow handle) is removed before you start, things will be easier. Since you deck is already smooth (all nicks, dings, and scratches taken care of) and clean, you may want to start with 600 or 800 grit paper and save a little elbow grease. Read the complete instructions on the gelcoat repair. I used an automotive polishing compound (instaed of gell gloss) after the final sanding and then gave the deck a couple of coats of wax on the deck to really make it shine. Take a look at the Mclube article also. Mclube the hull and you won't have lake/river junk stick to the hull and may be a little faster.

Back