Deck/hull reattach

Mama H Chicago

Mother of sailboats
Thanks to the existing posts from folks here, I am now familiar with a number of options for re-sealing my deck to the hull. I think my helper and I have agreed to go with a heavy bead of Thixo, and/or SixTen in the seam, with lots and lots of clamps, doing the bow section separately from the stern.
In reading up on thickened epoxy, I realized that it says this stuff is hard to sand, so we will make sure to clean up any that squeezes out towards the outside of the boat before it cures.

Our prior plan was heavily loaded strips of woven fiberglass, laid between the flanges for deck and hull, with same clamping etc.

I’m of the opinion that it may be easier to work with the thickened epoxy straight from the mixing tube, and that’s the only reason I thought it the better route.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about gluing her back together this way and/or any reason to use straight epoxy/fiberglass instead?

Many thanks, in advance.

I used thixo on a 2006 with the curled edge. So not quite the same if you have the flat deck edge with trim.

I cleaned the area with 60 grit emory cause I could pull it through while putting some pressure between the sides. Plus I have a roll of it so it was handy.

A tight clamp will squeeze out a lot of glue which is good cause it will go both ways. I separated my joint and got the glue in deep.

Sanding was not much of an issue. It is a narrow edge and it will cut down fast. I still did my best to take off the excess.

We put a 4 oz piece of fiberglass cloth in the seam, wet out with THIXO. Then small bead of THIXO on the hull and the deck faying surfaces. You can prop the seam open every few feet with a paint stick turned on edge. With thickened epoxy clamp just enough to see a small bit of squeezeout then stop. Any more clamp pressure and you can force all of the adhesive out of the seam. We lay paint sticks along the edge of the deck to clamp onto to help distribute pressure. And you can make cheap clamps from 4 inch thick wall PVC to augment other clamps.

PVC clamps Howie clamps.jpg

We put a 4 oz piece of fiberglass cloth in the seam, wet out with THIXO. Then small bead of THIXO on the hull and the deck faying surfaces. You can prop the seam open every few feet with a paint stick turned on edge. With thickened epoxy clamp just enough to see a small bit of squeezeout then stop. Any more clamp pressure and you can force all of the adhesive out of the seam. We lay paint sticks along the edge of the deck to clamp onto to help distribute pressure. And you can make cheap clamps from 4 inch thick wall PVC to augment other clamps.

View attachment 52346

Seeing all those clamps reminds me how glad I am I fixed my boat last year and haven't had to work on it. :eek:

Thanks to the existing posts from folks here, I am now familiar with a number of options for re-sealing my deck to the hull. I think my helper and I have agreed to go with a heavy bead of Thixo, and/or SixTen in the seam, with lots and lots of clamps, doing the bow section separately from the stern.
In reading up on thickened epoxy, I realized that it says this stuff is hard to sand, so we will make sure to clean up any that squeezes out towards the outside of the boat before it cures.

Our prior plan was heavily loaded strips of woven fiberglass, laid between the flanges for deck and hull, with same clamping etc.

I’m of the opinion that it may be easier to work with the thickened epoxy straight from the mixing tube, and that’s the only reason I thought it the better route.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom about gluing her back together this way and/or any reason to use straight epoxy/fiberglass instead?

Many thanks, in advance.

we did it! The bottom photo shows better that we moved the clamps closer together after a few minutes.
The hull and deck are now completely back together. We used Thixo without the glass, and in hindsight I may have preferred to use it, but it’s almost the end of July and I haven’t sailed!!
My helper was flown to England on Wednesday (he’s an intern for SailGP!!!!) and when he returns, we are going to get Fishnet in the water.
89F292BB-5F31-459B-82D0-9F1B90175361.jpeg
89F292BB-5F31-459B-82D0-9F1B90175361.jpeg
EA0C2C5C-CC14-48C5-B612-54441590F791.jpeg
23990A71-0E1D-4439-A3CF-17149952619C.jpeg

Many thanks, in advance.
i like it.

Back