Deck Drain

jCruisin

Hey sailors!

I have a 1983 Alcort sunfish, and it had a rusted and stuck drain plug. (Metal one). I couldn’t manage to get the plug out. I was able to get the assembly and plug out though.

I’m still trying to get the plug out of the assembly with wd 40 and all.

In the meantime is there a replacement, preferably plastic and cheaper than the 45$ for the metal one with assembly, that would fit the exact same size hole without needing to make it bigger?

When the bailer is in the boat it's rare anything works. Now that it's out of the boat
you have a chance. Soak the thing in PB Blaster for a week. Then put the plug end
in a vice. Heat the bailer for 30 sec and try turning it with a pipe wrench. I've had
real good luck using PB Blaster and Heat to free up stuck model airplane motors which
is basically the same as what you are doing.

There are two plastic size plugs and I can't figure out which is which. You can get
a brass pipe plug from hardware store or look for Garboard Drain Plug online. Do
what you must but try not to wreck the plug as they have some value.

Hey sailors! I have a 1983 Alcort sunfish, and it had a rusted and stuck drain plug. (Metal one). I couldn’t manage to get the plug out. I was able to get the assembly and plug out though. I’m still trying to get the plug out of the assembly with wd 40 and all. In the meantime is there a replacement, preferably plastic and cheaper than the 45$ for the metal one with assembly, that would fit the exact same size hole without needing to make it bigger?
To get the drain plug out of the assembly, use corrosion busters like PB Blaster®, Kroil®, CRC®, or Marvel Mystery Oil®—thinned with kerosene. WD-40® is "just OK".

There are other answers to be found on this forum—here's one:
Looking for Sunfish Deck Drain Plug | SailingForums.com

The last reply is here:
1/2" diameter UNC13 thread...I have nylon (white) hex head with o-rings for this drain plug that I am selling as a replacement. cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

I found a stainless steel hex-head (Allen) for $1.69—which will be easier to unscrew later. But need to make sure it fits—before I can recommend buying one! :confused:

Maybe I can remember to check during daylight hours tomorrow? :rolleyes:

That stainless steel hex-head Allen bolt fits the deck drain plug hole! :) (Problem solved for $1.69!)

It takes a ¼"-sized Allen wrench to snug it down. Reversing a cordless drill nut-driver will also work.

When I stumble across some (white) Teflon tape or my tube of anti-seize coating, I'll put some on it. :cool: Somewhere, I've also got some copper tape and copper anti-seize coating, but copper is likely to create corrosion :( rather than reduce it.

That stainless steel hex-head Allen bolt fits the deck drain plug hole! :) (Problem solved for $1.69!)

It takes a ¼"-sized Allen wrench to snug it down. Reversing a cordless drill nut-driver will also work.

When I stumble across some (white) Teflon tape or my tube of anti-seize coating, I'll put some on it. :cool: Somewhere, I've also got some copper tape and copper anti-seize coating, but copper is likely to create corrosion :( rather than reduce it.
Seems like a good enough solution for now, it stays in when capsizing and such right?

Correct. I think it might be described as a "Hex-Head Set Screw".

It'd be great if they made one in plastic...

$1.39 from Grainger.

4WPK1_AS01

Assuming you mean the deck drain, the good news is plastic ones are $10. Holt Allen Plug, Gray, Complete However, this says it ships in 3 weeks, which sounds like it is either out of stock, or they are having a hard time getting them from Laser Performance. Intensity has this one for $7.00 Ronstan Hull Drain plug

BB
I think I’ll likely go with this or a very similar option. Just didn’t want to mess with the hole and these would work perfectly!

(new member here) I was very happy to find this thread! I couldn't find a hex-head set screw locally over the weekend, but I found a stainless cap-head hex screw at home depot in their "specialty fasteners" drawers. Added some plumbers grease around the threads and sailed away!

Back