Deck cover questions

Pete Copeland

Hi all,

I'm wanting to get a deck cover. I've a couple of questions:

1) I've found covers at APS ($183 and $213) and Layline ($225). What are the pluses and minuses? Are there other opitions?

2) Will all or any of these covers accomodate the spars underneath using a Travel Spar Carrier?

Thanks

-Pete

Are you going to be traveling with the covers on, or is it just for when the boat is being stored or sitting on a dolly ?

There are other options - and they are all lower cost - check the For Sale section of the forum - search on Top Cover

i'm not affiliated with any shops, but i bought a top cover from Larsen Canvas. the cover is great and it was less than $200. very thick with a great bungee and tiedown system. i would highly recommend.

i bought the storm covers and i really like them except that my bungee is starting to wear out. does anyone know how much and what size of bungee is needed and how do you replace it.

I would be transporting a short distance (~8 miles) to go sailing; I'm planning to store the boat in the backyard.

Thanks.

-P

Colie makes awesome covers. Everyone down here seems to have them, they last forever in the sun, they put your name or whatever on it, they are very strong, and they can accomodate your spars. Unfortunately they are more expensive, but mine was well worth the price I paid compared to some others I have used. Colies website is http://www.sailorsproshop.com/

sailor327 said:
i bought the storm covers and i really like them except that my bungee is starting to wear out. does anyone know how much and what size of bungee is needed and how do you replace it.

It's 7mm dia and you need 7 meter. You can use a smaller dia if you want, it just won't exert as much force to keep the cover snug.

To replace - the most secure way is to take some whipping thread and handsew the new piece to the old peice, with the ends butted together. The pull the old out from one opening while feeding in the new from the other opening. It's a PIA, works best if you have the cover on the boat so the material is all stretched.

Pete Copeland said:

I would be transporting a short distance (~8 miles) to go sailing; I'm planning to store the boat in the backyard.

Thanks.

-P

I would check out the cover being sold by Intensity Sails http://www.intensitysails.com - The covers they are selling are using a lighter grade material hence the bargain price (It's the same cover that Rooster sells)

You might also contact user 48111 here on the board, he makes a nice one out of Sunbrella - IMHO, his material is better for storage, but not meant for long distance travelling - See this thread for more info http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=3778

I have a set of Colie covers, and I really like them. A little more expensive than some of the others, but for traveling 70+ mph down the interstate, I like protection afforded by the covers.

They are made from "Top Gun" fabric.

Just my $ 0.02.

Back