Deck cleats...

Indiana_Steve

Has anyone mounted a deck cleat to a Capri? If so where did you mount them? I don't see much support to attach to. There are times when I would like to tie up to a dock and all I have is a bow line.

Steve

I wouldn't recommend Deck cleats on the 14.2 as it risks having the jib sheet or the jib its self hang up on it .

I run a line thru the jib fairlead and cleat when I am docked, it has worked pretty good for me .

Rob

I use a line with a clip attached to it, and clip it to the traveler line. I also use this line to get the boat lined up with the trailer when putting the boat away.

cleats

I was going to mount a folding or retractable cleat on the front deck , but haven't gotten around to it yet. I did mount 6 inch white plastic cleats to the outside of the rear corners for the dock lines. They haven't snagged any lines yet so I guess you can say they are working OK.

deck cleats

I tried to attach a pic of my rear cleats installation to my original reply on the deck cleats but it won't take it as the pic already appears in another thread called "hiking strap replacements". In my brief experience sailing the boat this season with the cleats mounted outboard , it still leaves the deck surface smooth and snag free. I remove the lines once I am underway and they get stored in a phifertex bag that I had made and installed on the transom. A pic of the bag is attached ...

Attachments

• Rear Phifertex bag.jpg
    Rear Phifertex bag.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 74
Different situation

I have a different situation because I do not have a traveler in back. someone put two very small cleats on each side of the stern that work fine. You could always simply put a strap-eye or pad eye on the inside of the transome. I shouldn't think that would catch anything accidentally. It woulden't have to be very big. I use a 1/4" dock line and double it if I'm worried. Just a thought...
http://www.bosunsupplies.com/products2.cfm?product=S370-ST

Kent....I'm in Nappanee just South of Elkhart.

I like the idea of clipping to the traveler, simple. I think deck cleats would work but they would have to be bolt through as there is a lack of good structural support.

Back