Deck cleat screw holes

Alysum

Hi,

My deck cleat base for the outhaul/downhaul has been slowly coming out of the 2 holes so I got 2 new screws and filled up the holes with silicone gel. But it's not holding the whole thing tight enough which slowly comes out every time I go out sailing.

How can I make the 2 holes tighter for the screws ? Am I using the wrong thing ?

Cheers

Thanks, should I apply the mix then put the screws in straight away or let it dry before screwing them down ?

I don't suppose I could mix sillicone with epoxy ?

No, you should not apply the epoxy over the silicone - it won't bond properly.

Usually my first suggestion is to try a size or two larger screw - if it bites into fresh wood, it will hold. If it doesn't then I go with drilling the hole to remove all previous sealer and then refill the hole with thickened epoxy then then drill a new hole in the epoxy once it has set.

One thing I've done before is to bore out the holes the depth of the screw, then epoxy in a section of dowel rod. This gives your fresh wood to drill in. I would only do this as a last resort, though.

OK - I had the same problem 3 years ago.

1) Go to home depot and buy a double barreled syringe of LePage self mixing 5 minute epoxy (the stuff with the spiral nozzle that mixes as you push the plunger) - it costs $5.95

2) Put your boat on the roof rack - open your sunroof - align the holes with the sunroof!

3) From inside car clean out stripped holes (get rid of the silicon)

4) Using nozzel squirt half a syringe of epoxy into hole 1. Stick a square of duct tape over hole (to stop epoxy running out!) - repeat for hole 2.

5) Let set for 6hrs (don't believe the 5 minutes thing)

6) Take off duct tape, drill holes (same size as the core of your fitting screws) in your nice new epoxy

7) Refit the double cleats

This worked a treat and I have not had an issue since.

Let me know if this helps

good sailing!

2) Put your boat on the roof rack - open your sunroof - align the holes with the sunroof!

EXCELLENT! I love the creativity on this site!

Also consider a pair of sawhorses rather than your roof rack....

I don't think it can be over emphasized that you need to clean all the silicone out of the holes (down to new wood). Almost nothing bonds to silicone, so any repair you do without thoroughly removing it will probably just fail again.

OK - I had the same problem 3 years ago.

1) Go to home depot and buy a double barreled syringe of LePage self mixing 5 minute epoxy (the stuff with the spiral nozzle that mixes as you push the plunger) - it costs $5.95

4) Using nozzel squirt half a syringe of epoxy into hole 1. Stick a square of duct tape over hole (to stop epoxy running out!) - repeat for hole 2.

5) Let set for 6hrs (don't believe the 5 minutes thing)

6) Take off duct tape, drill holes (same size as the core of your fitting screws) in your nice new epoxy

7) Refit the double cleats

This worked a treat and I have not had an issue since.

Let me know if this helps

good sailing!

I have just tried this and will cross my fingers til tomorrow morning to see if it works. I am thinking that as the epoxy pushes through to the other side, it will mushroom out and give a nice dense material to allow the screw to grab on to.

Will keep you posted.

Back