Deck Bungies (and sight lines)

Since I need more storage space than a Sunfish normally has (for my planned voyage), I borrowed an idea from the Kayak people, and added bungie cords to my deck. Below is a pic:

It was very simple: I added six pad-eyes and ran 20' of bungee cord through them. To make sure I didn't compromise the water-tight integrity of the hull, I made sure the screws went into the lip outside the hull, and then put a dab of 3M sealant in the hole, just to make sure. Since the cross of the bungies goes in front of the mast, there is no interferrence with the halyard.

Using that set-up, I can easily carry my paddle, pump, and a couple of dry-bags. Combined with the cubbyhole in the cockpit, I'll have plenty of capacity for camping gear on my trip.

Also, you can see the sight lines I talked about in an earlier post. I love 'em! Even when you aren't racing, they help me make sharp, crisp tacks.
anyway.... maybe these will give folks some ideas if they are setting up their boats for voyaging.

DSCN2528.JPG Deck2.JPG

Austin.... this is the Deck Bungie set-up I was talking about in the other post. On my Dauphin Island to New Orleans trek, it really helped me carry all of my gear.

Back