Dear Charleston's James Island Yacht Club, Come on.. It's time for some changes..

nateowens

District 12
Hi Folks,

Over the weekend I visited SSA in Annspolis for the first time. I was amazed. I was awed. I fell in love. [yes, despite the very strange wind conditions and 300 degree wind oscilations]

It was just about everything I am looking for in a club. It inspired me to do one of two things.. Move to Anna's Polis, or to make something like it in Charleston. Here's a letter I am drafting to the James Island Yacht Club in Charleston. If you have any thoughts to share, I would love to hear them.

If the sentiment resonates with you, feel free to contact me and we can start a gang or maybe a sect of some sort.

Cheers,

Nate Owens
There's strong,
Then there's D12 Strong.

Dear Charleston's James Island Yacht Club,

My name is Nate Owens. I am an avid sailor with an overwhelming frustration for Charleston and its sailing scene. I moved to Charleston last year to support the southern sailing mecca. However, in six months I came to find there is a lack of small one design racing, practices and organization. The sailing scene leans heavily on the big boat PHRF racing which is prohibitively expensive for the younger generation of sailors.

In order to stay competitive a young person coming out of the junior program, high school or college needs to quickly join a large boat. They lose track of the essential skills developed while dingy racing and become a foredeck, trimmer or simply rail meat. High quality sailing is not done in Beneteau Firsts or arguably J120’s, it is done in dinghies through fast action and big fleets. A great example of this is the 470, 49ers and Laser Olympic Classes.

The James Island Yacht Club is an amazing club for sailing one designs. Your location directly on the harbor is perfect for small boats. Your beach is perfect for quickly launching large practices or regattas. JIYC has plenty of parking, a great place to watch the races and easy transport to and from downtown.

The three major sailing/yacht clubs can be broken down. Carolina is for rich big folks where sailing is secondary to their elite status symbol of a club. Charleston YC is for the midrange sailors in terms of boat expense and yacht club expense. They are a stout group and heavily support boats in the 20-35 foot category. Where does that leave JIYC? What is your identity?

I would like to compare JIYC to Severn Sailing Association who describes itself as the one design sailing club. They have hundreds of boats in an area half the size of JIYC parking lot. There are numerous J/24, J/22, Melges 24, Jets, Thistles, Lightnings, 420s, lasers and other one design fleets. The crowd is amazing. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday guarantees a fleet races or beer can races. There are consistently over 30 J/24s on the start line. There are more than 30 lasers out and about on any given series night. They have a strong frostbite series. They have become known worldwide for their regattas and their strong series. As a club they developed the strategy to support one design sailing. It is easy to become a member. Membership requires folks to contribute to the racing or help run races. They have many people join because they love sailing so much. Sailors in Charleston are begging for somewhere to call home like SSA.

The one thing that plagues James Island Yacht Club is that it is prohibitively exclusive. A two to three year waiting list will turn anyone away. Your two to three year waiting list turned me away. I don’t have the time or to wait and follow my passion. All I need is a place to store my small one design boat and a club that supports me. JIYC can provide it if it weren’t as exclusive. I would otherwise be a young, excited and dedicated addition to your club. You are losing potential lifetime members, you are losing strong sailors who can run races, practices, contribute to the renown of JIYC as well as share our love for sailing.

What is there to wait for? My focus is sailing and racing. I never saw more than 8 lasers or sunfish during the six months of trailering my boat into JIYC for “open” series sailing. I am not going to wait three years for a disappointing turn out. The strong sailors don’t want to come out for to mop the floor with the competition. They want to race against a large fleet of competitive boats. I want to get my friends to join and sail with me. They want to be able to learn to do better starts, mark roundings, boat on boat maneuvers, racing tactics and chalk talk forums discussing performance. This is not possible with a small fleet and it is not possible at JIYC in its current standing.

The potential of JIYC to be the heart of the southern one design racing is frustratingly not possible with your current membership strategy. If you want to experience quick yet sustainable growth then you will need to develop a membership strategy encouraging sailors like me. We don’t care about the social scene as much as we want to sail. All we need is somewhere to dry sail our boats. Sunfish, Lasers, Jets and the like. I would recommend creating a sailing membership category. This would allow folks like me to join. The cost would be lower, the membership would be more open, membership would include a rotation in running series races. You will need to establish facilities that allow for additional storage or more organized storage.

This is JIYC's change to do something exciting. With a membership strategy like this in place you will lay the groundwork for a revitalized sailing capitol of the south. A two to three year waiting list is for powerboaters. They can wait as they are a dime a dozen. In the mean time, you are losing sailors and lifetime members.

I want to move back to Charleston. I do not want to move back as long as there is a stagnant small boat racing scene. If you like this idea, but don’t know how to accomplish it, then I’ll do it but please don’t let me wait three years.

If you would like to talk about this in more detail, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Nate Owens

Hi Nate,

We talked about this over dinner at the Masters at CYC. The letter is good and I'd send it to see what happens. You have a great idea and you may even want to send it to CYC-SC as well, (just take out the big, rich, socialite part!). As you're probably aware and I think we discussed this at dinner, CYC-NC has this program and it does work well.

I'll just warn you not to get your hopes up. JIYC has always been a "strange bird" and they seem to like being that way. In the traditional south "change" is not looked favorably upon. If you check out the grounds at JIYC you'll notice it probably has not changed 1 ounce in 20 years.

JIYC does have a great beach, (except at low tide) and ample lawn to spread a bunch of dinghys out on.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Rob

Very well written note, Nate. I don't know anything about any of the clubs you mention, but I hope that the folks in JIYC can hear your passion for the sport and figure a way to make something happen.

I had the incredible good fortune to relocate near the Austin Yacht Club, which has a very active one-design fleet with Laser and Sunfish races every Wednesday evening from May through September. The sailors are similarly passionate about the one-design (and specifically Laser) sailing here (do they come any more passionate than Goubernail?).

If the folks in JIYC don't respond. . . Austin is a great place to sail (and to live!).

Nate,
I was a member back in the mid 80s if the old guard is still there, like Rob said
don't like change. I can't say for now its probably a motorboat club I hate to bust
your bubble. Good luck and it would be a sailing mecha if it would open up. Mike:mad:

Let me add also I was the grounds chairman, a one man show for a year. All I got
was grief from members cutting grass when they were sunbathing outside the club
house. At meetings they ?????? cause upgrades were needed at the motorboat
ramp and I would bet that ramp is first class now.

I am not a member and don't live nearby. But the fact that the club will host the Sunfish Nationals this month indicates that dinghy sailing is supported.

But I sympathize with those wanting to sail but have to face long waiting lists. There are other clubs like that. Typically, they have extensive social programs, a pool, restaurant, and other activities. In some cases, newcomers need to find sponsors as well.

What you need to push is a 'quickie' dinghy only membership. Good luck; I think you will need it.

When they have regattas in Charleston, don't they have to clear it with the Coast Guard and close the harbour? I thought I read this somewhere.

And don't forget to keep a look out for those tour boats.

Yep, need to watch out for those tour boats too!

3596957936_3af5e4eae8.jpg

I've lived in Charleston my whole life (23 years) and understand your frustration. I've sailed out of Carolina Club and JIYC for regattas, pleasure, and practice. JIYC is indeed a strange bird and the people who are members like the way it is. Us southerners like that things change very slowly. We dont want a bunch of new people changing our scene. This is just how things are. Now considering how inexpensive JIYC is and the relatively short wait time (2 years) to become a member there is not much to complain about. It would be nice to see a bigger one class crowd in Charleston but i dont think it is just up to the yacht clubs to make this happen.

I hope you get some attention from JIYC

Very well written note however I agree with earlier posts; chances of anything happening are slim. It takes vision and an 'inside' person to champion changes like this. Find someone you know who is a member. Offer to head up the programs for them for free.

(We have a local yacht club on a small lake here. They have kids programs, racing, etc. and I thought it would be fun to join. Ha! Ha! Ha! Multi-year waiting list and then it turns out the price is 3K+. Good thing the ocean is close by.)

I've lived in Charleston my whole life (23 years) and understand your frustration. I've sailed out of Carolina Club and JIYC for regattas, pleasure, and practice. JIYC is indeed a strange bird and the people who are members like the way it is. Us southerners like that things change very slowly. We dont want a bunch of new people changing our scene. This is just how things are. Now considering how inexpensive JIYC is and the relatively short wait time (2 years) to become a member there is not much to complain about. It would be nice to see a bigger one class crowd in Charleston but i dont think it is just up to the yacht clubs to make this happen.

I hope you get some attention from JIYC

When you are between the ages of 20 to 30, (and have lived is several places and are opent to the possibility of moving) 2 years can be a lifetime. In today's economy clubs are loosing members and it's a great time to open up with a recruiting program for new and young members. While it's true Nate will need to champion any class he wants to push at a club he gets into it is aggrivating to see clubs with so much sailing potential like JIYC choose to stay idle. I know people don't like change, but you can see the adverse affects of that mentality and the detrimental outcome it brings to long time business icons like GM.
There are many times in life where change is good.

Very well written Rob, I can see Nates frustation I know I used to put up with that
bunch many moons ago. There was one sailor there who owned a boat company
and he was a good salesman. Then again with this econemy there will loss of members
cause it becomes a luxury, so now might be the time. Nate I will PM you as to some
members who are still there they were really pro sailors and well respected.

some great points. i have a great passion for one design racing in Charleston also. i race j24s on Wednesday nights which is the only one design fleet to race in the PHRF races. We had 9 out last week. Not bad. I sailed against 10 sunfish last Wednesday at JIYC and I can tell you at least 5 of them were very good sailors. This week there will be even more good ones as some of us are getting ready for the Sunfish North Americans. I think this shows that the club is open to one design, wants one design and supports one design. Our sailing committeee has agreed that any Laser can show up any thursday night and race. We are willing to give you a seperate start if enough of you show up. It is open to members and non members on this special night. this gives anyone like you the opportunity to help build your fleet and bring some people and show the other club members there is a need.

I suggest you let the sailing committee know your thoughts. (I think they know now). Tame it down a little because big pushes will just meet resistance. JIYC is a great club with a very diverse membership and it is both power and sail and you have to live with that but it is the best location on the harbor and good for much more than sailing. Keep up the talk and come meet me on a Thursday night and after I would love to talk to you about it. and we will buy you your first beer(if you are over 21).

The Club also lends($10) Sunfish and 420s out on those nights on a first come first serve basis. Members get first right but we have never not had enough boats. Hopefully we do some day. They are really reaching out. Sunfish tends to be a more competitive fleet right now but that does not have to stay the case. Show up and I will know who you are and start a dialogue.

some great points. i have a great passion for one design racing in Charleston also. i race j24s on Wednesday nights which is the only one design fleet to race in the PHRF races. We had 9 out last week. Not bad. I sailed against 10 sunfish last Wednesday at JIYC and I can tell you at least 5 of them were very good sailors. This week there will be even more good ones as some of us are getting ready for the Sunfish North Americans. I think this shows that the club is open to one design, wants one design and supports one design. Our sailing committeee has agreed that any Laser can show up any thursday night and race. We are willing to give you a seperate start if enough of you show up. It is open to members and non members on this special night. this gives anyone like you the opportunity to help build your fleet and bring some people and show the other club members there is a need.

I suggest you let the sailing committee know your thoughts. (I think they know now). Tame it down a little because big pushes will just meet resistance. JIYC is a great club with a very diverse membership and it is both power and sail and you have to live with that but it is the best location on the harbor and good for much more than sailing. Keep up the talk and come meet me on a Thursday night and after I would love to talk to you about it. and we will buy you your first beer(if you are over 21).

The Club also lends($10) Sunfish and 420s out on those nights on a first come first serve basis. Members get first right but we have never not had enough boats. Hopefully we do some day. They are really reaching out. Sunfish tends to be a more competitive fleet right now but that does not have to stay the case. Show up and I will know who you are and start a dialogue.

This is great. Way to step up Melges419 and offer to open a door. Nate, what happens next is what you decide to do with it. I hope you revitalize the Charleston Laser scene. Work with this guy and ask Glenn and Doug for e-mail/contact info on D12 folks in the Charleston area. Pick a Thursday evening and have your first, (of what could be weekly) evening racing scene. Let us know what happens. Great networking Laser Forum!

Your best bet may be to skip the YCs altogether and just gather a group and sail out of a launch ramp to get established.
For the past 4 years we have had a group ranging from 4 to 20 sailors show up Tuesday evenings in Bristol RI and do rabbit starts until dark. No organization to deal with (no cost either) and beer afterwards. It is the best of all worlds. If you can find the sailors and get it started one of the clubs may even want to adopt you and your fleet. Truth is you are probably better off keeping it loosely organized.

You've got to watch the older membership of an existing club. They really don't like change.

Several years ago I was part of a fleet a club which rapidly grew from 4-5 boat to 20+ boats. Brought a lot of new membership into the club. The existing membership was uncomfortable with it.

Their beef? When we would come in from sailing, we'd wheel our boats onto the lawn and rinse them off. We blocked thier view of the water, and that really upset them.

We also launched our boats from dollies instead of backing trailers in the water. That seemed to bother them too.

When they have regattas in Charleston, don't they have to clear it with the Coast Guard and close the harbour? I thought I read this somewhere.

No. Most courses stay well clear of the commercial traffic lanes. We do file our regatta plans with the GC for each season at the beginning of the year. Lastly, all recreational boats are required to stay clear of commercial traffic.

This is great. Way to step up Melges419 and offer to open a door. Nate, what happens next is what you decide to do with it. I hope you revitalize the Charleston Laser scene. Work with this guy and ask Glenn and Doug for e-mail/contact info on D12 folks in the Charleston area. Pick a Thursday evening and have your first, (of what could be weekly) evening racing scene. Let us know what happens. Great networking Laser Forum!

Well, Week week 2 of the summer series saw 24 Sunfish race 2 windward leeward courses and 3 people did not get on the water in time. i coached 6 Opti kids so should of had 28. Great one design racing and a 2 time world Champion on the line along with some past College of Charleston sailors, some other present college sailors, etc. They had a fleet of 6 Optis. And there were 3 Snipe, 4 Laser but no Nate and have not heard from him. Total of 38 boats raced 2 very good windward leeward courses. I would say it is obvious that JIYC is trying their darndest to support one design. It is tough but trust me when I say the membership was impressed. We rented out 4 Sunfish at $10(all of them) We had a Laser(or two) available(none taken)(we only rent those to exsperienced sailors). We had a good mix of juniors and seniors with a age bracket of about 7 years old to 70.
I don't know if our club iwth a 2+ year wait list will ever change its membership status but this is a start and we are open to any of you that will show up on Thursdays this summer. I would liove to see the local D12 sailors show up.
We are not doing it on the week of the sunfish NAs(June 25th). Nate, after the NAs I go to race in Abaco until the 12th of July so the following week I will be glad to take you on in a Laser if you will let me know you will be there. Until then you should show up and give us a chance. We have a group of us who agree with you on some things but may need to look for other avenues and use what we have for now but the bigger the group the better.
As an aside this weekend is the Hobcaw Regatta and next is the James Island Regatta and JIYC will definitely have Lasers. We need bigger fleets in these regattas to make people take notice. Get a few of your friends and put your Lasers on the water and show us you are as dedicated to One design in Charleston as JIYC sailing committe is.

Well, Week week 2 of the summer series saw 24 Sunfish race 2 windward leeward courses and 3 people did not get on the water in time. i coached 6 Opti kids so should of had 28. Great one design racing and a 2 time world Champion on the line along with some past College of Charleston sailors, some other present college sailors, etc. They had a fleet of 6 Optis. And there were 3 Snipe, 4 Laser but no Nate and have not heard from him. Total of 38 boats raced 2 very good windward leeward courses. I would say it is obvious that JIYC is trying their darndest to support one design. It is tough but trust me when I say the membership was impressed. We rented out 4 Sunfish at $10(all of them) We had a Laser(or two) available(none taken)(we only rent those to exsperienced sailors). We had a good mix of juniors and seniors with a age bracket of about 7 years old to 70.
I don't know if our club iwth a 2+ year wait list will ever change its membership status but this is a start and we are open to any of you that will show up on Thursdays this summer. I would liove to see the local D12 sailors show up.
We are not doing it on the week of the sunfish NAs(June 25th). Nate, after the NAs I go to race in Abaco until the 12th of July so the following week I will be glad to take you on in a Laser if you will let me know you will be there. Until then you should show up and give us a chance. We have a group of us who agree with you on some things but may need to look for other avenues and use what we have for now but the bigger the group the better.
As an aside this weekend is the Hobcaw Regatta and next is the James Island Regatta and JIYC will definitely have Lasers. We need bigger fleets in these regattas to make people take notice. Get a few of your friends and put your Lasers on the water and show us you are as dedicated to One design in Charleston as JIYC sailing committe is.

Wow. This sounds "all good" to me. If I lived there I'd get on the horn and rustle up some Laser sailors. I know they are there and I'd start with trying to convert David Loring back to the dark side, (at least for every other Thursday). Someone, (insert Nate's name here) just needs to work on getting them active on a regular basis. JIYC certainly is offering a place for them to play and people are offering to help him. He just needs to help himself now. I'm a little jealous.................

thanks for agreeing. i think we have a bunch to offer and a decent seabreeze every afternoon.
David sails for fun on thursday but trains still a good bit on Laser and does occasionally race them but he is bringing his daughter(7year old) sailing and that is taking his time up.
Next year she may sail Opti and if so he will probably be doing more sunfishing. But Charleston has a real good Sunfish fleet and I always tell the kids I train to sail in teh best fleet. Laser is a better boat but Sunfish here is a veery competitive group.

As an aside and discussion for another part of the forum. I am po'd because the expensive pieces I had to buy for my laser have gone missing. I thought they were too expensive when I bought them and that is probably why someone took them. I hate that I can't just stick my laser in the water. my sunfish parts never have gotten taken adn I have talked to others that have their line system stolen. The piece is a stupid expensive piece that is very important. So my nice hull and sail and stuff sit while I sail sunfish and want to do some laser sailing. I will borrow what I need to race Nate if he makes it but damn that ticks me off. I want to race more laser but can't without a bunch of money.

That stinks. Laser sailors *should not* steal from other Laser sailors! (or anyone else, for that matter.)

Dear Nate;

we need your help. but you gotta show up. This past weekend was the open regatta and 5 Lasers(you not one), at least 14 Sunfish(I was one), and about 60 or so other one design boats competed at the Hobcaw Regatta. if you want Charleston one design to flourish you need to show up and participate. This Thursday will have at least 40 boats at James Island YC including Sunfish, Laser, Opti,, and some others. You need to make it and bring a friend with a Laser(or more). The door is open to any non-member. If you need to borrow a boat for $10 we will try to put one together for you.

This weekend is the James island Open Regatta. There will be well over 100 boats and I think there will be a decent fleet of Lasers(especially if you make it). There will be a robust Sunfish Fleet, and it is open to the public. Charleston has plenty of opportunities for any one design fleet including but not limited to 6 open regattas that start in May and end in August. Bring a fleet of 3 or more and you get a start. Great sea breeze in the afternoon at all of them.

As you probably know the following week, less than 2 hours away, there will be the Beaufort Regatta where there always is an excellent Laser Class(I sailed in it last year). Maybe the way to do one design in Charleston and surrounding is to try to support these events already in place. Provides plenty of opportunity. 3 days a week and then Wednesdays in j24s makes 4. You want to crew on a J24? I can make that happen too. Just get hold of me or show up. We can talk about possible changes or supporting what is already there and underutilized.

Sail fast, often, and have fun!!!

Dear Nate;

we need your help. but you gotta show up. This past weekend was the open regatta and 5 Lasers(you not one), at least 14 Sunfish(I was one), and about 60 or so other one design boats competed at the Hobcaw Regatta. if you want Charleston one design to flourish you need to show up and participate. This Thursday will have at least 40 boats at James Island YC including Sunfish, Laser, Opti,, and some others. You need to make it and bring a friend with a Laser(or more). The door is open to any non-member. If you need to borrow a boat for $10 we will try to put one together for you.

This weekend is the James island Open Regatta. There will be well over 100 boats and I think there will be a decent fleet of Lasers(especially if you make it). There will be a robust Sunfish Fleet, and it is open to the public. Charleston has plenty of opportunities for any one design fleet including but not limited to 6 open regattas that start in May and end in August. Bring a fleet of 3 or more and you get a start. Great sea breeze in the afternoon at all of them.

As you probably know the following week, less than 2 hours away, there will be the Beaufort Regatta where there always is an excellent Laser Class(I sailed in it last year). Maybe the way to do one design in Charleston and surrounding is to try to support these events already in place. Provides plenty of opportunity. 3 days a week and then Wednesdays in j24s makes 4. You want to crew on a J24? I can make that happen too. Just get hold of me or show up. We can talk about possible changes or supporting what is already there and underutilized.

Don't forget the CYC-SC open in late July 26-27. The Lowcountry is covered up with sailing opportunities this time of year!

Hi Nate,

We miss seeing you on Thursday night races at JIYC and wondered where you went. You were a fast dude (upwind : )

The gate is always open Thursday, and if you show up you can often find some type of local support for boat storage and access. Just wanted to let you know we have a start and local interest in building (or reviving) an organization like the local PHRF group (CORA) but for dinghy sailors. It was called CODA (Charleston One Design Association) and the goal will be to create an organizational racing structure and access for serious dinghy racing acorss all the local clubs as well as access. Hope you can help us if you are in town.

Most of the (small but growing) Charleston Laser fleet is always up for some weekend practice if you want to go out, you know where we are. Hope you can make the regatta
at JIYC this week and discuss some more.

Thanks
Ashley

some people do not do Charleston Regatta because of lack of water access but JIYC has allowed Lasers and other small one design to use their beach those weekends to launch from so no excuse for that weekend. So Laser sailing available for about 7 weeks straight along with every Thursday night at JIYC. I sail Sunfish due to how easy to move around and set up as is the case with Laser(and because someone tok my Laser line upgrades). Just show up and in 10 minutes you are sailing.
some upcoming laser events(not all of em)
JIYC - this weekend - if you want JIYC to support one design-support their event)
Beaufort YC -next - great Laser Fleet
Savannah - 2nd weekend of July
Charleston - 3rd Weekend
CYC(SC) - 4th weekend
CYC(NC) - 1st week in august(or Rockville is that weekend also)
Did I say every Thursday night at JIYC

We don't need more One design, we need more sailors to support what is there already. There were only 5 at Hobcaw and good racing. Hopefully Lasers show up this week and weekend. You show up and we can massage it to make it what you want but not showing up is the biggest problem.

Sail fast

Nate, I'm a member at JIYC and I'd love to know what kind of response you get from the club. My guess is that they will do absolutely nothing. The club is run by a group of people that have no interest in sailing. They don't like being criticized or told what to do, especially by a nonmember. Our annual regatta has been in decline for years (I'm pretty sure they lost money on it last year) and they won't even listen to suggestions from members.

I've been sailing lasers out of JIYC for about 10 years. I've seen the numbers decline, and I'm unsure as to what to do about it. One thing I do know is that petitioning the JIYC to do something about it is an absolute waste of time.

If you'd like to discuss this further, send me a PM.

Nate, I'm a member at JIYC and I'd love to know what kind of response you get from the club. My guess is that they will do absolutely nothing. The club is run by a group of people that have no interest in sailing. They don't like being criticized or told what to do, especially by a nonmember. Our annual regatta has been in decline for years (I'm pretty sure they lost money on it last year) and they won't even listen to suggestions from members.

I've been sailing lasers out of JIYC for about 10 years. I've seen the numbers decline, and I'm unsure as to what to do about it. One thing I do know is that petitioning the JIYC to do something about it is an absolute waste of time.

If you'd like to discuss this further, send me a PM.

It seems to me the Thursday night deal is a good tool to try and grow a fleet. I guess there's a problem for a lot to sail during the week? However, Charleston does have a decent amount of events during the summer, (at all clubs combined) for a local fleet to organize and participate in.

If you could get enough JIYC club members to petition the current board/membership to allow non-club laser sailors to come over for organized weekend racing that might be a start, (if it's the week night schedule that is keepig folks from getting on the water). Besides that there's always Charleston YC or CYC. Jerry Calahan really wants to get the Charleston Laser fleet back on it's feet and he's a CYC member. Anyone talk to him?

Dear Nate;

we need your help. but you gotta show up.

Hi Melges,

Thanks for your continued interest and great comments.

Based on some recommendations coming from the forum I've been spending the past few weeks in Annapolis getting to know the sailing scene. I came here temporarily for my job but I may stay for the sailing. I drove up here with my laser in tow. I'm going to take the pros and cons of each town and settle in one of them.

I can report two off topic positives for Charleston that Annapolis does not have enough of..

• Annapolis does not have a close proximity to a great surf beach. [i.e. folly beach]
  • Annapolis does not have nearly enough girls in sundresses running around.
That last point may be all it takes for some folks to stay in Charleston. : )

Just wanted to let you know we have a start and local interest in building (or reviving) an organization like the local PHRF group (CORA) but for dinghy sailors. It was called CODA (Charleston One Design Association) and the goal will be to create an organizational racing structure and access for serious dinghy racing acorss all the local clubs as well as access.

Ashley,

Great to hear from you. I miss racing there too! A combination of having to tow my laser back and forth and new consulting projects has kept me from Charleston sailing for the time being.

That's just the kind of idea I was hoping for! Is that an original idea? Or did CODA exist?

Charleston needs something like that to unify the folks at different clubs and bring out the 20 laser fleet from College of Charleston.

We would need a good home for such an association. CORA has CYCSC docks. Do you think JIYC fits the bill? Do you think JIYC would want the unending fanfare of hosting CODA events??

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

I loved the comment about the folks launching from the ramp [no club politics or membership involved] and ending the night with beer. That's my kind of place.

As for your "fast upwind" comment, I think I was just getting lucky.

...I sympathize with those wanting to sail but have to face long waiting lists. There are other clubs like that. Typically, they have extensive social programs, a pool, restaurant, and other activities. In some cases, newcomers need to find sponsors as well.

What you need to push is a 'quickie' dinghy only membership. Good luck; I think you will need it...

Hi Wavedancer,

Thanks for your reply and your support. The dinghy membership or associate membership is exactly what I'm encouraging. I applaud Columbia Sailing Club for having a by law supporting just such a thing. I was in Columbia, SC on assignment for three months. I applied through an quick application, submitted a sailing resume and met the membership board. For $190 for the quarter I had a place to store my laser and a beach to launch from. [now if there were only more competition on lake murray! that's another post for another time] I was a CSC Associate Member with nearly all privileges and responsibilities. It was a mutually beneficial relationship.

I would love to find such a membership strategy in other clubs.

Thanks to all the Lasers that showed up this past weekend at JIYC for the open Regatta. At least 30 I think and 40 Sunfish for some great one design. Enjoyed seeing them.

The Thursday night things are still on excpet for this week since the Sunfish NAs are going on they are postponing for one week.

This weekend is Beaufort which always has a good Laser Fleet and Savannah in a few weeks followed by 2 weeks in a row of hopefully good Laser Fleets at Charleston and Carolina. For Charleston event there should be availability to launch for JIYC so don't use lack of water for and excuse.

Ryan

Nate,
I was a member back in the mid 80s if the old guard is still there, like Rob said
don't like change. I can't say for now its probably a motorboat club I hate to bust
your bubble. Good luck and it would be a sailing mecha if it would open up. Mike:mad:

Hi Mike,

Great point about old guard and new guard. I would take that one step back and add the caveat that we are not talking about old guard laser sailors [read: Laser Masters, Laser Grand Masters and so on] They are rock solid salt of the earth folks. I hope as I age I can compete as strongly and heartily as they do. I would not want to confuse them with the old guard in yacht club boards.

There's a sailor blog that posted a rating scale of yacht clubs. It is a good read, no doubt.
It brings up the age old question of what is the purpose of a yacht club or sailing club. We are all cut from the same cord, but we seem to have very different opinions on this in the same way racers and cruisers look at sailboats differently. Neither one is less right.

Subtle disclaimer: This post is not directed at any one sailing club or yacht club.

Back