De Persia bailer outside threads

aborgman

I pulled the De Persia bailer off my Sunfish with the plan of replacing it with a plastic one... but now the plastic ones are $85, and I'm not paying $85 for $0.50 of ABS.

Problem is - I had to cut the lock nut (bailer collar, jamb nut, whatever) off to get it out.

So I need to figure out the external thread (internal thread is 7/8-14) so I can replace the lock nut (hopefully with a PVC or FRP nut). Anyone know what they are?

I suspect they might be 1"-11.5 (NPS - straight pipe thread), but I'm not sure.

Anyone know what they are? I suspect they might be 1"-11.5 (NPS - straight pipe thread), but I'm not sure.
No, but try wrapping the male threads with 3+ layers of ordinary white Teflon tape. Then wrap the threads with "wet" fiberglass tape, wait til cured, and use as a nut.

To be fancier, a large nut could be bonded into the wet fiberglass tape. Even the fragments of the old, damaged, nut could be inserted onto the tape.

Another alternative is an automotive 1¼-inch "freeze plug" that fits the hole. (Put the larger washer on the inside).

At $6, the rubber part will last several years. (But you'll have to bail periodically in the meantime). ;)

Back