Daysailing modifications, improvements, gadgets.

regularman

Its been a while since I have posted much here mainly cause I have been working a lot of hours and haven't had time. Does anybody know of any new inprovements or gadgets for use when cruising/daysailing with the C14? I have made a few with mine that make it easier for me and my wife. We usually sail on a large lake and usually sail for the day. I have been meaning to take a bunch of photos and post them on a web page with all the mods and little extras becuase some of them are hard to explain without a picture. I have made most of the additions or improvement because there does not seem to be that many things for the C14 for sale out there. Right now I am working on a small ladder to put on the back. Its telescoping so that it won't touch the water when sailing, but when you let it down there will be 3 steps to let you climb back in the boat. My thinking is that this would be real handy for taking a quick dip in the water or getting back in after a capsize because the telescoping ladder rungs will be held up with a samll bungi cord that can be released from within the boat or when your in the water. I am making it out of aluminum to keep the weight below 5 pounds. There have been plenty of times that I wanted to get in the water but it was just too much trouble to get back in. I tried the rope with a loop thing and it was more trouble than it was worth for me, the bow rises and the stern lowers and the rope and my feet end up underneath the boat. I'm going to have this ladder with a brace down near the water line that kicks it out from the back a little to make up for how the boat reacts when you step on the ladder.

I don't have any improvements for the boat, but I didn't make a new mast crutch from 4" PVC that is cheap, light, fits very well (without wobbling), and supports the mast very well. If anyone is interested, I will post pictures and a template that can be printed on 8x10 paper.

Re: Stern Ladder

Originally posted by Ed Jones
Kim - If your boarding ladder works out, please send me a pix and text for a Mainsheet article. Send to [email protected]. Thanks.

Ed Jones
Will do ,Ed. I'm still in the design stages as yet. It may turn out not to be a telescoping type ladder, but it must give me what I want out of it. 1. It must not drag in the water. 2. It must be long enough when lowered to climb in easily. 3. It must fit tightly(clamped) on the boat so it will not come off if the boat rolls over. 4. It must be able to be lowered by somone in the water. 5. It must have a brace against the lower part of the stern that holds the bottom of the ladder out away from the boat at an angle, to make up for the bow rising when you step on the ladder. When I get one that meets all of these, I will fill you in:)

Mast crutch picture #1: Here you can see how I notched the 4" PVC pipe to fit over the transom. What you can't see is the notch at the bottom to fit over the hiking strap anchor.

Attachments

• mastC1.jpg
    mastC1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 416
Mast crutch picture #1: Here you can see how I notched the 4" PVC pipe to fit over the rub rail. The curved edges of the notch allow it to slip over the rub rail with slight pressure. (The PVC flexes a little, which allows it to be cut to relatively close tolerances without breaking the crutch or damaging the rub rail.) While the bungee really holds it all in place, the tab created by the notch allows the crutch to snap in place and stop it from twisting or sliding. In the picture, I have the bungee all on one side of the crutch, but when traveling, I wrap the bungee over the top of the crutch, which keeps the bungee and mast from sliding around. Finally, I attached the reflector that was on the old crutch, but as you can see, the mast blocks it. I will be replacing it with a larger, rectangular reflector that can be seen with the mast in place.

I bought an 8-foot piece of 4"? PVC for about $6.00. I used a Dremel with the cutting wheel to make the large, initial cuts. I then used the Dremel with the sanding drum to clean up the edges and shape the parts more precisely. Make sure you use a dust mask, eye protecting, and gloves when using a Dremel on PVC, because it creates a lots of dust that likes to get into your mouth and nose and hot PVC slag that likes to stick to fingers and fly into your eyes.

Attachments

• mastC2.jpg
    mastC2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 403
Great approach!

I think it could be extended as a boom crutch as well or as a stable base for a boom crutch. using the base Approach it would give more stabity to my Sailor's Tailor cockpit cover.

Well, I went sailing on the lake last week Tuesday through Saturday. The area we were vacationing in missed the effects of the hurricane exept for the rain. We had goods winds everyday and I tested my ladder and it seems to work well. I anchored and took a swim for a while in one of the coves and climbing back aboard was no problem. When up the ladder does not touch the water at all. I never could make the telescoping idea work with the materials that I had so I made a ladder that folds up hinged in two places and forms a triangle when stored. It weighs about 5 pounds and only obstructs the rudder when the rudder is nearly turned all the way , so it was no problem. I need to take pictures and was going to last week but my wife forgot to pack the camera :confused: I also made a small frame for a tarp to go over the boom when the sail is lowered to give some shade. I'm back to work now so, I will do this when I get time to take some pics. I like the pictures of the boom crutch, it looks like it would work well. My next idea would be hard to explain unitl I attempt it, but if has to do with storage in the cuddy area. I have heard that Mod 3's have storage under the seats, but for the rest of us its not so easy to get things out of the cuddy (fenders, spare fuel, food, drinks, etc.) while underway. How do others have things aranged in that area. Seems like it becomes a real mess in a hurry.

Originally posted by Dave Lilley
For storage under the seats, install inspection ports and cat bags.

http://www.murrays.com/archive/51.pdf

I plan to install two (under under each seat) soon.

Dave
That looks intersting , but I'm a little leary of cutting holes in the deck or seats. I like to be able to undo what I have changed, just in cas it doesn't work out like I had hoped.

I've seen it done, and it looked good. I have been a little apprehensive to do it too, but I think that I will do it soon (or have it done at the local maintenance yard) because I have had the same issues with the cubby. I saw a site with an article where a sailor put these on his boat. It had step-by-step instructions with pictures. If I find the link again, I will post it. If I install the ports, I will post pictures and info if you are interested.

Tried Dave Lilley's mast crutch solution with a shorter piece of 4" PVC. There's a little play laterally, but on the whole an elegant solution. Thanks, Dave.

Chris Corey

Attachments

• crutch_view4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 772
Chris,

I'm glad to help. :) I also tried a shorter piece first, which worked fine, but I saw the same lateral movement. I apologize, but I see now that I didn't mention that in my previous posts. The crutch in the pictures is my second attempt, made from a longer piece of PVC pipe that is nothced at the bottom to go around the hiking strap brace, which helps to keep the crutch from shifting.

Dave

We installed a 4" port on the seat by the stern, we like it. So we are going to install one more on the other side, and a 6" port on the deck.

Pretty easy, good suggestion Dave :)

Later,

Well, I got my first port from West Marine, and they don't have cat bag and also mine is not contoured. So I ordered tow more from your link. One is 4" and the other is 6" both have cat bag.

Now I wonder if I can find some recessed cup holder; I feel like cutting her up. :D :D :D

Later,

So far I have cut three holes and I found jigsaw gives me the best control free hand. I used a hole saw (1") first and finished up with a jigsaw. When you do the port on the seat, make sure you move the plastic floatation device out of the way before cutting.

I ordered two port bags, but I found that using a waste basket is better. I found a nice once at Sears, it has a same radius as my 6" port. I bolted it to port with plenty of marine Goop. It comes out very nice and water proof even when capsizes. :cool:

I have pics too.

Later,

Whatcha' waiting for? Post those pictures... ;) (You should use the new gallery. So far, I'm only one of the two guys boring people with my family albums.) :D -- just kidding

Dave

What is behind the seats? I crawled into the hatch and tried to look back under the seats, but all I can see if beaded foam. Do you have something else behind the seats in your boat? Are there bulkheads or floation, other than the foam, that I should worry about?

I was looking at the post for access ports, and have a concern. The deck is load bearing for the mast. I have a concern about cutting a hole in this structure. I have no problem with the seats access ports.

I made a mast crutch from 2 pieces of thin 3/8 marine plywood and some 1 by 3 lumber.

I wanted it to support a tarp for storage, able to travel, assist with raising the mast, easy to install and remove and very few loose parts.

It seems to meet all of the above.

To install it I slip it over the rub rail and insert the All thread through the gudgeons.

What you can't see is that the plywood on the inside runs to the floor with a cutout for the hiking strap that adds side to side stability.

The picture does not show bungee cords that I run from the ends of the traveller line to reduce side to side movement when travelling.

Attachments

• mast crutch2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 432
Great stuff. What the solution for the mast up forward if you don't have a trailer extension. Also, where do you put the boom.

One last question, anyone have "el cheapo" boat cover solution with a draw string. I can't bring myself to spend nearly $400 on a "beanbag" coat cover. I am sure they're great, I just can't do it. I'm too cheap.

There is this...

tx_deckmnt.jpg

(I doubt this would be the best option for the Capri, since only two of four suction cups would work.)

Ahoy Captain: http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/tx_deckmnt.html

...or you can get a mast stand, as seen on the front of my trailer, such as the one below.

Trailex-front48maststd.jpg

Castle Craft: http://www.castlecraft.com/options_trailer.htm#mastcarrier

or

Nickels Boats:http://www.nickelsboats.com/cart/trailers.htm (The stand list here doesn't have a picture or specs - just a price.)

...as for the boom, it stays in the bottom of my boat (wrapped for protection and tied down), or in the back of my truck (only to and from the lake).

Skysurfer3,
Someone on this forum recommended a Wal-Mart cover about 18 months ago. I bought one and it's worked fine. No drawstring, just tie-downs to the trailer. Size "A" fits a C14.2 and costs about $49.

For folks who don't want to play with wood or PVC, here is another option.

tx_aftmst.jpg

Ahoy Captain: http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/tx_aftmast.html

Dave,

Thanks for the tip. As soon as I saw it, I ordered the one that is 33 inches long. My thought is that I can also use it as a boom support when I am siting dock side as well as a mast support when I trailor the boat.

Thanks for sharing,

Ed

Mast/Boom Support

For folks who don't want to play with wood or PVC, here is another option.

tx_aftmst.jpg

Ahoy Captain: http://www.ahoycaptain.com/shop/tx_aftmast.html

Dave,

I bought the 33 inch one for $35 plus $8 shipping. It works great both for trailering and to hold the boom up when I am dock side.

The boom does not quite reach but you can loop the main sheet over it and it supports the boom fine. It is exactly the right height.

It also helps support the mast when you lower it. No need for a helper while you un-pin the mast from the tabernacle.

Thanks,

Ed

Works great

I bought the 16" one. Works great too. Might have bought the 33" one to have a bigger slope for the snow to fall off the cover.

BTW, heard that "Barkeepers Friend" http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/ works great to great of scunge on the water line. Same active ingredient that West Marine sells in the little blue can that is so expensive.

Thanks again,

Michael

That ladder

I'm so glad someone is dealing with the ladder issue. Until summer of 04 I went without one. Then one day I capsized my C14 twice in 10 minutes next to the slip. Don't ask. That's when I realized I needed a ladder to get back aboard once I righted her. This summer I went back to Mission Bay with a discreet orange rope ladder resting on the deck just inside the transom. No, I do not know what would happen if I actually tried to use it, but it gives me confidence to know it's there.

About a boom support.......

Hi,
I just wanted to tell you about an alternative to a boom support, just incase you havn't heard about it. It's a little gadget called a "Boomkicker". It is two fiberglass rods that are attached to a bracket and a sling made out of nylon webbing. this all attaches to the mast and is easily and entirely removeable. I have one on my 14.2 and it is wonderfull. You can find the boomkicker easily by just typing in a search for "boomkicker". They have several models for boats up to over 32 foot, but the smallest one is perfect for a 14.2 daysailer.

Paul Austin
Capri 14.2 mod 2
Hull # 4309

Step Ladder

We just bought a ladder swim stirrup through West Marine. We have not received it yet so I have no report. This is after my wife observed my 215 lb whale body climbing into the boat using the suggested rope stirrup. It was kind of get even with the transom and belly my way in. Not a pretty picture. The WM catalog number is 142218. It is like the boat stirrup one picture in the posting with the single step. it will not be offset from the stern.

Craig

Back