News David Loring Leads after Day 2 at the Worlds

58984 EW

The winds were still up, although not as much as on Monday, and David Loring moved into the lead on Tuesday at Worlds in Nassau. There was a minor controversy on Tuesday, as it turned out that several of the rudders were slightly bigger and of a different shape than the rest. They were swapped out before racing on Tuesday. Results via www.Sunfishworlds.com

Results via Sunfishworlds.com

Thanks for the updates, and the pictures are great.

It's crazy to hear about the mix-up with the rudders, as well as the goose-necks that were snapping during the Juniors.

I have a strange (random) question for you though - when I visit Sunfishworlds.com using Firefox on my Mac, it only shows the first (2) posts: tuning & day 1.

BUT, when I visit the same site using Safari on my Mac, it shows a new post: day 2.

Any reason why that happens?

tag

Eric,

Can you tell us more about the rudder issue please? Were the 'off' blades from another boat and shipped by mistake? Or is LP considering a rudder change independent of the class?

I see that son Ard is beating his Dad, Cor van Aanholt, former World Champion (at least up to this point; race 5). And his daughter Philipine is doing quite well also.

BTW, you are sailing very well; keep it up...

Thanks again for making this series interesting for the websailors.

I really don't know what happened with the rudders. Personally I think it's not that big a deal. The differences were tiny, but they were different.

I am sailing well, thanks!:)

BTW, sailing was cancelled today due to high winds. We will race tomorrow, which was to have been the off day. IT's going to remain heavy through the week, it appears.

We (finally) have some videos ready to post, so look for that later on Sunfishworlds.com. They will include a video "words of wisdom" from David Loring. I learned a lot listening to him talk. Did you know he uses no tell-tales?

I have a strange (random) question for you though - when I visit Sunfishworlds.com using Firefox on my Mac, it only shows the first (2) posts: tuning & day 1.

BUT, when I visit the same site using Safari on my Mac, it shows a new post: day 2.

Any reason why that happens?

tag

Sorry about that. I don't know what's going on. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. It may be a cache issue with your browser. Try holding the "shift" key and hitting enter. THat may do it. If not, close out the browser and re-open.

Sorry about that. I don't know what's going on. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem. It may be a cache issue with your browser. Try holding the "shift" key and hitting enter. THat may do it. If not, close out the browser and re-open.

Don't sweat it - it works now. Last night it just wasn't happening, though.

Keep up the good work!

tag

David Loring still leads after Day 3 of races

1 David Loring SC
2 Marx Chirinos Venezuela
3 PJ Patin NY
4 David Mendelblat FL
5 Peter Stanton Virgin Isl
6 Juan Hurtado Guatemala
7 Ard van Aanholt Curacao
8 Malcom Smith Bermuda
9 Mathieu de Bij Holland
10 Cor van Aanholt
11 Greg Gust TX
12 Jose Gutierrez Venezuela

Don't have the totals yet.

Eric,

Can you tell us more about the rudder issue please? Were the 'off' blades from another boat and shipped by mistake? Or is LP considering a rudder change independent of the class?

I see that son Ard is beating his Dad, Cor van Aanholt, former World Champion (at least up to this point; race 5). And his daughter Philipine is doing quite well also.

BTW, you are sailing very well; keep it up...

Thanks again for making this series interesting for the websailors.

I might know what the controversy was. I recently (within the past month) purchased a new rudder. At first glance, it appeared identical to my other 2 FRP rudders. While studying the rudder in connection with the proposed modifications, I discovered that this latest rudder is very slightly different from the first two.

It has a finer taper, to a sharp trailing edge. It is also about 1/16" to 1/8" longer if you measure it carefully. Mine has a number stamped into the gelcoat near the very top on one side of the blade. It has slight differences at the bottom of the trailing edge (where the two tapers come together) and at the top of the trailing edge (where the taper widens into the flat side of the trailing edge).

I think any complaints about these differences should be ignored. I do like the newer blade though. The sharp trailing edge gives it an appearance of high quality.

Then again, maybe I have it backwards. Maybe some of the blades were of the older version.

Thanks Rick for the detailed explanation.

PS: The top Laser guys and gals (Page Railey is an example) blunt the trailing edge of the blade a bit (within the class rules). Supposedly, that gives better flow dynamics (they say) :confused:.

Thanks Rick for the detailed explanation.

PS: The top Laser guys and gals (Page Railey is an example) blunt the trailing edge of the blade a bit (within the class rules). Supposedly, that gives better flow dynamics (they say) :confused:.

Yep. I've heard that one too. I don't know if the sharp trailing edge is better, but it sure looks good. I do know that trailing edges that are too blunt tend to "hummm....."

Again, I was just guessing, but I think its a good guess. Question is: which were in the majority - the sharp or 'not so sharp' trailing edges?

Actually I think the guess is off. The difference was with the profile of the upper leading edge. On the bad ones the edge was rounded, which made the rudder *slightly* bigger, however downwind they seemed to cause a vortex of some kind in the water, at times making steering very difficult (no resistence). 18 of the boats had these off-kilter rudders. I was one of them. So was Paul John Patin and David Mendelblatt. I don't think it made a big of difference in the scores.

Actually I think the guess is off. The difference was with the profile of the upper leading edge. On the bad ones the edge was rounded, which made the rudder *slightly* bigger, however downwind they seemed to cause a vortex of some kind in the water, at times making steering very difficult (no resistence). 18 of the boats had these off-kilter rudders. I was one of them. So was Paul John Patin and David Mendelblatt. I don't think it made a big of difference in the scores.

Thanks. Sounds like a production defect. Riddle me this: Were the rudders at the Worlds stamped with a number in the gel-coat at the very top? On mine, it is on the port side and visible with the rudder and tiller are in the lowered postition.

Back