Damaged Plastic bags inside the hull

dewaegep

Today I decide to give a look on those plastic bags inside the hull to see if there was in good shape. Surprise :mad: 5 of 10 had some holes, some small ones, but 2 bags where very damaged. That means that my boat was nos unsinkable. So, if you never check them, I think it's a good idea to give them a look for safety. It's not easy to take them out, but it worth the effort.
Patrick

Bag type

Hi Patrick --
Earlier this month I had to retrieve some stuff that slid back under the seats on my 1987 Mod One Capri when I got some water in the hold and was surprised as heck to see that the floatation bags are the same kind photo chemicals used to come in at print shops and newspapers I've worked at. They were bladders in heavy-walled cardboard boxes and we'd replace the caps with turning valves.

They make for good floatation b/c the bags are flexible so that they won't make noise or damage the FRP if they get tossed around and they're quite tough. Photo chemsistry is not the scariest stuff, but it was corrossive. We used to re-purpose the bags for mixing fertilizer or holding washing water in hurricane season. My boat's bags seemed to be in good shape still, but I only checked out the first couple on each side.

I would like to replace mine with fresh versions but don't know any place that uses that chemistry anymore. Photo printers now use printer paper and newspapers have advanced to imaging right onto their press plates. Anyone out there know who might still use these?? :rolleyes:

jim / so. fla. / hull 1857

Source for floatation bags

Hello all --
The plastic bag floatation described above are called "cubitainers". They are still commonly used in industry, and are available for purchase in small quantities that could be suitable for anyone interested in replacing / adding some from various sources online.

They're so light that I wouldn't mind strapping two or three up under the deck way forward if my big butt could squeeze up in there.

I talked to Catalina and they still use them today, they might even sell them as a part, but I didn't think to ask. BTW the C14 production has been moved to the west coast of Florida. When I'm over there next I'm gonna try and have a visit and get some pics.

As someone who actually launched his C14 and sailed off without the plug in her, I can attest to the critical need for floatation :eek: Of course the alligators that I was told live in that lake might have preferred if the floatation had failed.

I had to row back to shore into the wind b/c nothing I could do would get her to sail -- as soon as it got underway it just rounded up to windward and stalled. Took about 1/2 hour for the water to all drain out once up on the trailer. Fun day! Very glad I did this on a small inland lake and not somewhere with waves and tide action... :eek:

Of course, as the old saying goes: you don't need a parachute to skydive -- just to skydive again.

jim / so. fla. / toshita 1857

14.2 Expo

Any suggestions on alternatives to the hull airbags? Are they as fragile as they look? Anyone have experience with foam or air pillows?

Access to floatation bags

How do you gain access to the flotation bags? I ask because I'd like to be able to access the backside of a lot of the fiberglass for repairing some stress cracks and to inspect for internal damage. I'm assuming if I can do one, I can do the other.

floation bag access

My 09 Expo inside on each side of the cuddy has two screwed doors/covers that give access to under the seats. Let me know about the stress cracks. I noticed some near the port rub rail on the bow. I'm not sure when and if anything needs e done.

My 09 Expo inside on each side of the cuddy has two screwed doors/covers that give access to under the seats. Let me know about the stress cracks. I noticed some near the port rub rail on the bow. I'm not sure when and if anything needs e done.

Stress cracks happen in the gelcoat as it is stiffer than the fiberglass under it. Its really nothing that uncommon in these boats.

Stress cracks happen in the gelcoat as it is stiffer than the fiberglass under it. Its really nothing that uncommon in these boats.

Thanks, I was getting a bit worried .....but it makes sense now that you've pointed it out.

Gelcoat is just "tinted resin" so although it has surface hardness, it has no structural strength. On the other hand the structural fiberglass underneath is very thin and will flex very easily without breaking.

I have a 1992 mod 2 and last year I peeked inside the hull to find what looked like 8 to 10 cube shaped plastic jugs. I have a feeling something horrible happened to my boat at some point becasue it appears as though the wooden bulkheads under the deck have all been replaced(there is ducttape jammed in between the hull and the wood). Do mod 2's have these jugs or is this some kind of replacement flotation?

14.2 Expo

Any suggestions on alternatives to the hull airbags? Are they as fragile as they look? Anyone have experience with foam or air pillows?
Medical Iv bags are strong and may be suitable, even though they are small. Not sure how to get them, I am using 2 of them in my RC Sailboat, given to me by a fellow skipper. The used ones would be fine if it's possible to get them.... bit of a re-cycle effort!

Probably not the cheapest option but Coleman and other camping brands sell collapsible water jugs about that size for around the campsite. Two or three of those on each side would probably be about equivalent volume. I think they 5 gallons apiece for maybe $10 each. Check www.campmor.com

Back