Damaged Cockpit drain-plug straps

RogerMusser

Our sailing club has a half-dozen damaged straps, the ends of each have torn off. The strap that I refer to is that piece of white rubbery material that acts as a retainer for the cockpit drain plug. The entire strap is in fine condition except for the tiny piece that we use to grip the plug.
See the attached photo, the part that has torn off is that little piece just to the right of the plug part of the strap.

Does anyone have a good workaround for this? Such as:
1. using it as-is.
2. by feeding a small piece of line under the strap before putting the plug in.
3. using something else as a plug. (especially if the substitute does not get kicked out as easily).

Sunfish bailer strap.jpg

...or option 4. Buy new ones. They are not that expensive and will probably last 5-8 years. I think these plastic straps get sun damaged, dry out/harden and then crack.

I have always wished the Sunfish came with a proper Elvstrom style stainless steel cockpit bailer, nice flush bottom when closed, better function when open and just about bullet proof.

Alan Glos

Thanks for the input.
I'm trying to increase our club's fleet utilizing some unused boats that need parts. Some of the parts needed are much more expensive than these straps but I'd still like to minimize club expenses.

When a plastic bailer fails, I replace it with a 1¼" automotive "freeze plug", mounted with the larger washer inboard. ($6 at NAPA).

If I had your recurring problem, I'd pull off about ten inches of 2" white Gorilla tape, punch a hole through it, and wrap the offending plastic part lengthwise to make a tape "sandwich". Where the sharp bend occurs, the tape can be wrapped around a ¼" wooden dowel or a pencil fragment to keep the end handy and off the cockpit floor.

Just a thought. ;)

Thanks L&VW, I’ll give that a try. I am going to order some replacement plugs but in the event that the plugs are unavailable I’ll have a “Plan B” ready to go.

Here’s a variation on L&VW’s idea of a Gorilla Tape repair:

I used some black tape so that it would show up better in the photo. It’s the 2-inch wide tape and I used a 2 & 1/4-inch strip of it. Cut the hole with a pair of scissors.
3ACEB730-02C0-4D97-A6E0-3C3354A3FA10.jpeg
0433A476-5BD2-4930-8B81-C52BE408F07F.jpeg

I am concerned about trying to grip the wet tape with wet fingers.

Sunfish Direct sells them for $13 each

Reactions: tag
This prototype used a 4-inch piece of Gorilla Tape and then an extra 1/2-inch by 2-inch strip to reinforce it.
I put the plug in tightly and I could pull out the plug without ripping the tape. I don’t know how well it will work after it spends a summer wet and in the sun though.
I’ll give it a try if the replacement plugs are not available.
5DE41526-E5D5-4510-A245-FBF2D3DED34F.jpeg

I doubt a damaged bailer plug can be "rehabilitated".

Here, a simulation uses non-sticky drywall tape, while adding some wood reinforcement as an afterthought:

Fullscreen capture 1202022 90252 PM.bmp.jpg

What I had in mind was wrapping the tape in such a way that the surfaces were fused adhesive-to-adhesive on a new plug. Spared the damaging UV effects, and left a few days in the sun, the sealing of this tape "sandwich" into one piece should do the trick.

Last edited:
L&VW:
Thanks, which way is the big loop pointing on you photo?
Is the smaller piece of wood (popsicle stick?) the part that is pinched by the thumb and forefinger when a sailor is pulling the plug out?

As you noticed, the strap can't work as pictured, as it is backwards. (!) :oops:

The idea was to shield the (new, plastic) plug from sun damage. A wood dowel would offer a grip to shift some the strain away from the plug. A stiffener, such as wood or metal should prolong the plug's useful life.

When a plastic bailer fails, I replace it with a 1¼" automotive "freeze plug", mounted with the larger washer inboard. ($6 at NAPA).

If I had your recurring problem, I'd pull off about ten inches of 2" white Gorilla tape, punch a hole through it, and wrap the offending plastic part lengthwise to make a tape "sandwich". Where the sharp bend occurs, the tape can be wrapped around a ¼" wooden dowel or a pencil fragment to keep the end handy and off the cockpit floor.

Just a thought. ;)
I'm not sure what is meant here by a "1 1/4 inch automotive freeze plug?" I'm conjuring a freeze-out plug for an engine block but I doubt that what is being referred to here.

Any help?

:eek:

You're right.

It's as you describe for automobile engine blocks, but it's an expanding plug with a large rubber seal that fits leak-free when tightened in place. The larger metal washer (of the two) goes inside the cockpit.

It can be a temporary fix indefinitely for ~$7.

You're right.

It's as you describe for automobile engine blocks, but it's an expanding plug with a large rubber seal that fits leak-free when tightened in place. The larger metal washer (of the two) goes inside the cockpit.

It can be a temporary fix indefinitely for ~$7.
Here's what I'm picturing (attached). As a long-time gear-head, this is what has always been known to me as a "freeze-out plug" -- no way that's what is being referred to here. I'm lost.

Can you link me to what you mean? Imma try @signal charlie 's method first but if I fail, $7 bucks is WAY better than the $85 plus I'm seeing to replace the plastic bailer. Seems like a rip.

Attachments

• 1688047005323.png
    1688047005323.png
    626.4 KB · Views: 51
That's my recollection: best to measure.
Will do. How is the functionality with the auto parts plug? I've seen them in plumbing/pool applications with a wing nut, does that seems like a better choice?

Does the water drain out the same as the factory bailer while the boat is moving? Or are we bypassing that function altogether and just using a sponge and/or scooper?

I cut the top off a water bottle for routine bailing--with a backup a bailer made of laundry detergent bottle. (Cut off the bottom, reverse the cap, and seal the top with it).

The freeze plug advantages are:

1) cost of replacement for original De Persia or broken,
split, or ineffective stock plastic drain.
2) quick drain on a ramp or trailer (fast washout of leaves)
3) durability in "normal abuse"
4) slight streamlining advantage over stock
5) won't clog, whether open or shut
6) seals defective/delaminated cockpit drain sites
7) if dropped on freeze plug, it will yield (will pop inside).
8) if struck by underwater rock, won't shatter
9) quick emergency fix for busted plastic bailer

Freeze-plug draining while underway not advised! :eek:

Back