daggerboard

frankbarbehenn

I am new to the sunfish. I do not understand why they use both a bungee tied to the bow and a reatiner line tied to the eyestrap of the mainsheet block. Isn't the idea of the bungee to hold the daggerboard in case of capsize of some way lose the daggerboard? Why then a retaining line? Please advise.

I'm no expert, but a simple way to think of this is that the bungee is to hold the daggerboard UP when you're on a run (straight downwind). The retainer line is to hold the daggerboard in when you've capsized and/or keep it from floating away. If I can find some time, I'll send you the citation to the source where I found this discussion.

Frank - they are two different options. They aren't usually used together. The bungee method is prefered since it holds the board in any position you want it at.
Preston - there are times when pulling up the board part way gives you an advantage. Down wind run is one example.
Both - pick up a copy of the Sunfish Bible for coverage of Sunfish sailing basics. http://www.sunfishclass.org/admin/sfbible.htm

Back