Daggerboard Vibration

Assume it is a wooden one? I don't think the plastic ones vibrate. I don't know what to do to fix it - seems sometimes some vibrate and some don't. Maybe someone else will have had luck solving that problem - short of buying a plastic board.

thanks, yes it is wooden. I had read @ one time about some sort of dampening sleeve that could be added to address?

Mine does it when going downwind. Not a big deal, but you can pull it up. You don't really need it when running.

Get two strips of very thin indoor/outdoor carpeting and glue the strips lengthwise in the daggerboard trunk near deck level with some contact cement. These strips will make the board
fit in the trunk with less play and will prevent the vibration.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Thanks fo
Get two strips of very thin indoor/outdoor carpeting and glue the strips lengthwise in the daggerboard trunk near deck level with some contact cement. These strips will make the board
fit in the trunk with less play and will prevent the vibration.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I'm with you. Mine (wooden board) happens to vibrate more on a reach or even up wind. Unless it is a symptom of significant less efficiency, I kinda like the company.
I like to think of it as a speedometer. It makes me smile.

My daggerboard vibrates in moderate wind and water conditions. Is there a "fix" ?
Hi Craig. I have the same problem with a dagger board I made. It appears that the leading edge is too much of an angle and is acting like a reed in a wind instrument.
The other possibility is that it is too sloppy in the hull or the spring is missing. Maybe a small wedge would help.

There is usually nothing wrong with some good daggerboard hum. It usually happens when you get up to speed, and it's common in a lot of boats.

Back