daggerboard up or down...

Cavi

Okay, what is the correct time to run the daggerboard all the way down and partly down only? I would guess that all the way down would be in a broad reach, and up as much as possible would be downwind, but I am not sure. Help!!

Here is what I do - When the water is shallow, I pull it up enough to clear the bottom or I will come to an abrupt stop. When going straight down wind, I pull it up to go a little faster. Otherwise I keep it down all the way.

Reactions: tag
I pull my board up part way in really light winds to reduce drag, but if I notice the boat start to slip sideways, I'll put it down. Downwind I pull it up.
Most of the time, it's all the way down.

Board stays all the way down going to windward. It is already just barely large enough, even the newest version.
If you are out in a gnarly gale without a Jens rig, maybe up six inches. But that is to survive, not race.
Most folks pull it up a little too much on reaches. Note the wake. It should still track straight.
Downwind it must stay in the water enough to keep control.
I found it fast downwind at the Florida Regionals to pull the board WAY up when the boat was zipping down a wave and putting it down halfway when at the bottom or top of the wave to allow steering. I was playing the board and pumping the main. Oh, and steering. That third arm really helps.
Playing the board I gained ground. Leaving it halfway down or way up I lost ground on the lightweights. (I am not one of those.)
Dave Ellis
former Sunfish sailor

Back