Daggerboard trunk too narrow??

Ticktack

Hello all,
I’ve posted about a warped daggerboard from a 2006 Vanguard Sunfish.
I noticed the board was very tight when inserting the last foot into the trunk. That’s when I took a closer look at the board & noticed it was warped & cupped at the top part where it engages the trunk.
I purchased a new board & while it’s not as tight fitting as the warped board, it is still pretty snug. Now I’m thinking the trunk is the problem. I can’t capture a good pic down in the trunk but the two interior side walls have a noticeable convex shape protruding into the cavity. I am reluctant to sand them flat so the wall thickness won’t be reduced.
Has anyone delt with this problem & any thoughts on its remedy?
I’m thinking about trying to find a snug fitting piece of wood to insert & letting the hull get hot in the brutal Texas sun.
Thanks so much,
Tom

I believe the trunk is fiberglass which isn't going to soften in the heat.
Ok, I didn’t think of that!
Any thoughts on how the walls deformed like that & ideas how to open the trunk up?
The board is so tight I have to stand up in the cockpit & yank on it to get it up on the runs!

Hello all,
I’ve posted about a warped daggerboard from a 2006 Vanguard Sunfish.
I noticed the board was very tight when inserting the last foot into the trunk. That’s when I took a closer look at the board & noticed it was warped & cupped at the top part where it engages the trunk.
I purchased a new board & while it’s not as tight fitting as the warped board, it is still pretty snug. Now I’m thinking the trunk is the problem. I can’t capture a good pic down in the trunk but the two interior side walls have a noticeable convex shape protruding into the cavity. I am reluctant to sand them flat so the wall thickness won’t be reduced.
Has anyone delt with this problem & any thoughts on its remedy?
I’m thinking about trying to find a snug fitting piece of wood to insert & letting the hull get hot in the brutal Texas sun.
Thanks so much,
Tom
Out of curiosity I put a straight edge on the new aftermarket board & crazy enough, it had a slight convex shape in the area that fits in the hull! Maybe I’ve just gotten a couple of defective boards.
I have an original Sunfish “Race” board, the one with the hole in it & it fits fine.
Thanks!

Back