Daggerboard trunk leak

Salty Sea Dog

Hey Guys,
I just did a leak test on my boat and found a leak on the inside of the daggerboard trunk. It's right at the front of the slot, midway down. Right now I'm planning to put a deck port in right behind the splash guard and fix the leak from inside the hull, unless I can think of another way to do it. Any tips or suggestions?

Salty Sea Dog,

Your plan is sound, but let me point out the lazy way; not as seamanlike, but worth considering.
The damage that you localized is at an odd spot. In my experience, if my board runs into something, it gets swept backwards and damages the aft side of the slot. In other words, the front side of the slot is relatively protected. Therefore, it might be possible to satisfactorily repair the damage by pasting some Marinetex (or other epoxy at a peanut butter consistency) on the damaged area (use a plastic rod or a wooden one covered with wax paper). After letting the epoxy harden, you can use the device posted by 73sunfish to smooth the repair. A wooden rod with sandpaper should work as well.

Yes, I am a bit lazy; rather go sailing....

I put an inspection port in today and did the repairs. It only took a few hours, and I think it will turn out nicely. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back