Daggerboard Shock cord

Esteroali

I would like to put in a shock cord from the Splashrail to hold up daggerboard. Some Questions.....
1. How far back from the trailing edge should it be?
2. What size drill bit?
3. Is the hole made directly in middle?
3. What size shock cord?
4. Where do you get the little piece of plastic that goes over the cord?
5. Is there anything holding your board to the boat if you flip?

PS free Florida vacation to anyone that wants to come leak test my boat and plug up leaks!

you just need a 1.5meter piece of shok cord any diameter
you tie it to the bow handle with a bowline knot and in the other tip of the shok cord you tie another bowline knot to the hole in the daggerboard

that will also hold the daggerboard if you capzise

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 54
The standard racing rig is to run a loop of shockcord from the hole on the forward side of the board to the tack where the boom intersects the gaff. This not only holds the board in place but also helps to keep the sail out when sailing downwind. I used 1/4 inch shockcord
fairly taut, and it works fine.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

That's how I have the board now, running forward. I want to have less lines around the mast, so I want to move the daggerboard retainer to the aft side of the board with the line running across from the splashguard sides.

That's how I have the board now, running forward. I want to have less lines around the mast, so I want to move the daggerboard retainer to the aft side of the board with the line running across from the splashguard sides.

Shockcord is cheap, so just buy some and you can cut it to length once you find out what works. BB

But my question is where do I drill the hole? How far back from the splashrail end. I would prefer to drill only 2 holes :)).

But my question is where do I drill the hole? How far back from the splashrail end. I would prefer to drill only 2 holes :)).
Holes where? In the splashrail? Before I'd do that, I'd take a piece of line and run it around the front of the splashrail. Then tie your shockcord to either end of that line, so the shockcord is stretched across the deck and the db slot and then it holds the board up. If that does not work, you could drill holes in your splashrail.

But if you race you should not do the above. If you race, you should run the shockcord thru the daggerboard hole and around the tack of the sail. Then the shockcord will hold the boom out downwind in light air, and also keep the board up.

BB

Are you asking where on the daggerboard do you drill the hole? I think everyone is assuming that you have a composite daggerboard and that there is already a hole.:eek:

Last weekend I saw someone that had their daggerboard held in place with a shock cord stretched across from the splash rails. There were 2 holes in the splashrail holding the cord in place. I am not drilling any holes in the board. So maybe I won't do this since no one seems to understand my question. I have used the previous suggestions and was trying to get less lines around the mast. Thanks for trying though!

I think some/most understand it, but a lot of people use the shockcord to hold the tack of the sail out, as beldar and Alan already mentioned.

but, if you want to avoid that extra line up there around the mast, I would imagine you could just pick a spot, drill the holes out towards the edge of the splashguard, and adjust the length/tension of the shock cord to make it work.

cheers,
tag

I would recommend "JC Strap Bungee Cord with Sister Clips"

yhst-32154317745271_2119_2910383

Info:
[FONT=arial, helvetica]We make this a clean and easy to rig and derig affair. The cord inserts through the daggerboard forward hole, slips into the gap between the spars at the tack and clips to itself. Easy. In light air this setup will help to hold the sail out going downwind. It also acts as a daggerboard retainer. We use domestically made bungee cord in black that is UV resistant.

We crimp one sister clip and tie the other so you can adjust the tension as the cord ages. .

Price $6.50 + Shipping
Link: http://www.intensitysails.com/jcstbucomawi.html
[/FONT]

Geez, you ask a simple question...

I've seen the setup you are talking about. I think the holes in the splashguard were about an inch or half an inch from the ends. Holes should be just larger than the bungee you choose. As for the plastic piece--easy--it's just clear tubing. You can find it in Home Depot or similar stores. I think I found it in the plumbing section and you can buy as little or as much as you want. It comes in different diameters, so bring your shock cord with you to get the right fit. You just feed the shock cord through it.

Before you drill you might want to try what Beldar suggested, running the shockcord along the front of the splashguard instead of drilling holes and tying it off. I've seen that method too, and you can figure out if you like it before you drill anything.

I personally use the Intensity retainer with the sister clips and have been happy with it. I run it through the front hole of the daggerboard, around both sides of the mast outside the halyard, and into the notch where the upper and lower spars meet (the tack). The extra lines around the mast haven't been an issue for me, even when readjusting my vang or dropping from a regualr halyard to a jens.

If you use the splashguard method you will still need some sort of tether to attach the board to the hull.

Mom's Hooked

Back