Daggerboard Measurements (Changes?)

tj0199

I have 3 (foam) daggerboards and noticed the new-to-me board seemed different (fit more snuggly in the trunk, heavier), so I measured it and found that it was 31mm across (widest point on the top) while the other two were only 29mm across. As I understand it, there was only one builder of class-legal boards until the new GRP ones were developed, so why aren't they identical? Was there a change in the design/molds (and when)? Have there been other changes to the foam boards since 1998? What do the new blades (from all builders) measure?

My Crompton (foam) board from 1995 and Simon Cooke (GRP) board from 2012 are both 31 mm thick.

_

Admittedly, I didn't have calipers so my "measurement" was slapping a ruler across the top and squinting at it. It's possible I was off by 1-1.5mm just due to rounded edges and worn paint, but the point is one of the boards is noticeably (1-2mm thicker) than the others. I know the class rules (33mm IIRC) don't reflect the actual constructed dimensions, so is that kind of variance normal or does this mean the board(s) was/were modified? The thick one does have new-looking paint, but I didn't think that would explain a whole millimeter difference. Especially my measurements are accurate, what are the chances that I get two boards that are both thinner than they are supposed to be? (I would assume those two aren't modified - the finish on them looks original, and I wouldn't think you'd want thinner boards).

Max width is 33 mm, there is no minimum.

1588352502358.png

Back