Daggerboard Handle/Loop?

WestCoast

There's a 2004 thread about this, but it's too old to reply too.

What are you laser sailors using for a daggerboard handle?

Loop or 'stick shift' type knob?

I had a 'stick shift' handle on my last boat, really liked it.

Now the new boat, well, I dunno what to do.
Most people I know go with the loop these days, thoughts?

I noticed many boats have handles and wondered why. I've never flelt the need for one, what advantage does it give you? I've never seen a stick shift style, what is that?

The handle is so you can pull the board up when reachin/running.

Stick shift is maybe 5" of line coming out of one hole on the top of the board, and then taped around, so it looks like the manual shifter on a car.

The loop, obviously, is a more traditional 'handle'

Scheidt seems to go back and forth, and I even found a picture of him not using a handle at all?

I've never noticed having difficulty lifting the board. I'll pay more attention to it this weekend.

Mine tends to lift up about 4 inches on its own during the prestart when I am manuvering slowly and it does not have any sideways force on it. I wonder if the extra weight of the handle would help hold it down.

jimmy said:
I wonder if the extra weight of the handle would help hold it down.

Would it? Mine is always popping up a bit too, even though I've replaced the little rubber brake.

Brake has been adjusted, replaced. Still happens. I am hijacking the thread and the subject of the break has been covered before so back to the handle discussion...

haha, it's ok jimmy :)

I went with a handle, right in the middle of the DB.

12.5mm max holes, looks good. 8mm double braid line used as handle.

I don't bother with a handle - can't see the need for one. I had the problem with the board coming up 4 inches during pre-start manoeuvres. I have since got rid of this problem by tightening the bungee cord that runs from the front of the board to the bow /mast.

OK.... I'll do some work in a minute.... as I've posted the last 4 posts without interruption!

I go for a handle as opposed to the loop... If you tie a bowline in the end of the vang handle then you can pass that over the handle meaning it stays where you left it....

There's nothing worse than roll-tacking around the windward mark only to find your vang line under the leeward gunwhale..... Not Fast....

Hey.... it's a personal choice but worth a thought

I promise I will try to shut up now and do some work....

Speaking of which... does anyone want to buy a T1?

Sail Fast,
T

Anyone got any directions on how to make those really nice looking stick handles, mine is just a jumble of rope and tape.

Chris,

Rope handle 'stickshift' style achieved by a variation on the 'hangman's noose' style macramie,

Hard to describe in just words, but basically make a noose and feed the bitter end back down thru the coils before tightening.

GL

rock steady said:
Anyone got any directions on how to make those really nice looking stick handles, mine is just a jumble of rope and tape.

Besides the myriad rope tricks, you can also use a bicycle handle grip. Run the rope thru the center, knot at the end (put it under a little compression and it will always stick up)

Back