daggerboard and rudder referb

Matt B

when i baught my laser just before winter ithe daggerboard and rudder wernt in the best of condition so i secieded to sand all of the current gloss paint off and put car boddy filler in it then i painted it with ordenary delux house paint (gloss) and made a mess of it so i was thinking of sanding it again and spraying it with car spray paint and an industrial sprayer has anneyboddy anney thaughts or experiance of this

While that will work, it's overkill and expensive.
The spray can stuff works fine, search the threads here, a number of threads about different brands that work - shouldn't take more then two cans to do both blades with 3 light coats..

I did my daggerboard around 18 months ago. I was recommened to use an acrylic spray paint rather then a car spray paint as I believe the paint might attack the foam the board is made out of.

They are needing a little bit of attention now but they are still looking pretty good.

It is all in the preparation.

You might find a friendly auto body shop might do it for a small beer fund contribution (they can use some leftover paint). I dont believe there is any restriction on colour....

I did some refurbishment with the geal coat and it looks great.... of course you can spray it if you want to do the whole items or brush for small dents.
Gel coat work fine and gives superior strenght than the painting

appliance enamel is super tough, and easy to apply with a spray can. Not as clean as a real spray gun, but easier than gelcoat and lasts for a pretty long time

appliance enamel is super tough, and easy to apply with a spray can. Not as clean as a real spray gun, but easier than gelcoat and lasts for a pretty long time

Yes this is correct, but I believe that the gelcoat provides much more resistance to the friction expecially on the front edge of the daggerboard. Try sand enamel and gelcoat and you will see what I mean..of course it is not a relevant issue but for those not loving the yellow of the daggerboard...

thanks for the posts verry helpfull but i think i minght put the appliance enamel into the sprayer as i have found it in a tin rather than a spray can this should give a good quality finish as i am tired of going for second best.i also minght put a strip of gelcoat down the front formerley yellow edges as i cannot face the idea of trying to do the whole thing with gelcoat as i am not the best at getting it perfectley smooth.

we bought 4 hulls and rigs from a yacht club recently, and 2 of the daggers had vertical "scratches" with rust that seemed like deep scratches. As I was sanding today trying to remove the scratches, I realized its metal strips about 1/8 inch apart down the meat of the dagger, maybe 10 pieces. Not sure how old these boards are, but am I correct in that some boards have vertical metal ribs?

i have finished them now but do you think i should leave this on for other people or end it

Let's let other people use this thread, Matt, as long as it has a life of its own. No need for you to respond to their posts if you are done with it.

Back