Dagger Board Trunk

Is there an effective way to seal the dagger board slot? I am not worried about being class legal. Seems to me that there is lots of drag created by water forcing its way up the Slot

Often I see water spraying up the centerboard slot. Does it not stand to reason that it cause drag? and is there a way to seal it? Has anyone tried? If so, with what success?

Is there an effective way to seal the dagger board slot? I am not worried about being class legal. Seems to me that there is lots of drag created by water forcing its way up the Slot
I put the daggerboard in. ;)

My World Olympics-participant Tornado catamaran had flat rubber seals on both daggerboard slots.

With one hull raised, and two "on the wire", there's a great deal of side-thrust on a catamaran daggerboard (over five feet long). :eek:

Not so much on Sunfish. :rolleyes:

Oopsie...wrong catamaran... :oops:

'Tornado has centerboards. It was a different cat of mine--home-made, but very fast.

An engineer might agree...a bit of lift could be gained by sealing the daggerboard trunk.

I have since looked into it and the fix does not look that difficult. There are such things as dagger board slot gaskets. Looks like an easy fix. But I agree with one bad tack though.

Back