Dagger Board/ Rudder Storage

Thread starter #1
Not wanting to spend $50 or more for a dagger board or rudder bag or hard case, I did a little looking around. What I found was a rifle case by Doskocil. It is about 52.5" long x 16.5" wide x 4.5" thick, is black with Doskosport molded in to the case. Best thing, it was only $19.99 :D at Galyan's sporting goods (http://www.galyans.com). For those of you who don't have a Galyan's nearby, you may be able to find it at a Bass Pro Sop or other large department type sporting goods store. The only draw back I have found is that the tiller must be removed to fit :( . I just keep a pair of 7/16" wrenches under the foam for that purpose. I also wrap the dagger boad with a towel to keep the wood surfaces apart. It should be able to handel the newer, longer "plastic" racing boards. No more worries about damaging my boards.

Thread starter #3
Tim,
Don't know about a wingnut being legal or not. I like the security of the ny-lock nut. I don't have to worry about it coming loose on the water. I keep a few extra stainless ny-lock nuts in the case in case the current one feels worn out.

How about a nylock wingnut??? I think those are available.

Also a question out for anyone......does the archery type case which some people use for blades have room to put the folded up rudder/tiller assembly in without disassembly?

I find the whole assembly rather clumsy and awkward to protect when it is off the boat.

Tim

tim i have one of those archery cases in my attic for when i go to the far away races. ill bring it down and check for you tonight or tom.

Thread starter #6
Tim,
If you look closely at the open view of the hard case (archery case) that APS sells, the tiller is removed.(http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e1419.asp). APS p/n APS594 @ $69.95 (plus extra shipping). The case I found is alot cheaper, a little slimmer and a bunch lighter with the same 2 padlock holes, 4 latches and the same disadvantage. It may not have as much room to store extra stuff, but with carefull coiling, I can carry all of my lines. Hope this helps

i just checked to make shure that you cant twist the rudder/tiller around to make them fit and i cant get them in. you would have to remove the tiller. also another drawback is that one side does not have padding on it. it only has 2 strips to hold arrows. i went to a hardware store and bought some foam and that cost me about $20 on top of the case. just another thing to think about if you want the case.

Thanks guys,

Considering that both types of cases require removing the tiller, I'd go with the much cheaper and smaller one like supercub's. Since I drive a little VW, I need all the room I can get!

Tim