Dagger board pops up on Laser2

happyhunter

The dagger board on my Laser2 keeps popping up. I sail mostly in light winds around here. When it is more breezy it seems to stay where I put it. But in light winds it will float up. There are no cleats near the dagger board and no lines attached to the dagger board (except the thick one for carrying it by). So, is there a way to hold it down?

Thanks,
HH

I posted this at lunch without researching it. I have just searched for dagger board stuff and understand Lasers have a daggerboard brake. I see them for sale on intensity sailings site. I also read of shock cords that hold the daggerboard in position.

I have nothing like this on my Laser2. I just bought it used and I guess any such device is gone. Can someone post a pict of a standard laser and what the brake and shock cord arrangement look like? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
HH

Don't get distracted by the laser friction bumper.

Laser 2s have a different system - you need a friction tape inside the daggerboard slot. Not sure where to get it these days, but it is a heavy tape that has a bunch of short fibers on the outside, that keeps the daggerboard from moving up and down. There is not rope system that I remember being used back in my days of laser 2 racing.

APS has this "Dagerboard Carpet" at this page: http://www.apsltd.com/c-2868-v15ruddertilleranddaggerboard.aspx

That is the stuff you want.

'

Except it's currently illegal in Lasers.

Except he is asking about a Laser "2", not a Laser. They are the now almost forgotten 2 person youth class that has a jib, spinnaker, trapeze. Fun boats, but seem to have been surpassed on the circuit by the skiff type boat.

For a Laser "2" carpet in the daggerboard slot is essential, and legal.

Whitfit,
thanks!!! I'm thinking that should work. My daggerboard has all kinds of room or slop as it goes in. The carpet would snug it up. I'll put that on my list.

Thanks again,
HH

I don't have my own boat but sail one of the six laser2s my student sailing association owns. We use carpet as well to keep the daggerboard from moving up, together with thick elastic tied from a rope threaded through the daggerboard to itself again via the ring on the front of the boat (excuse my lack of terminology, English is not my native language). The carpet keeps it from bobbing up, the elastic, by pulling it slightly forward, keeps it up when you want it to stay up (plus, it's a surety when you're teaching people with no sailing experience at all to rig a boat...I don't know how many people I've seen capsising while still attached to the landing stage...)

Good luck!

Back