Daggar board - keeping it up.

I sail a sunfish in shallow rocky water some times in low wind. Is there a soution for keeping the daggar board at different levels (other than full out or in or using hands, foot or teeth --ok Kidding about the teeth.).

THe most common dagger board retainer is simply shock cord loop from around the mast and dagger board. Cut it to length so there is tension but not to much as you can make it hard to raise or lower. The newer plastic dagger boards have a hole to run the shock cord through. On older boards I scew a drawer handle to the top. It holds the shock cord and give me an easier handle for raising.
You can also run the shock cord from the S hook area at the front of the boom and around the dagger board and back. That way you can use it as a Jesus strap as well to hold the boom out on runs.

You can also run the cord around the spash guard. I use a piece of plastic tube to help with the grip on the blade. Most do it the way Mike says. But I do not like anything hooked to my booms as I want them to move free at all times.

Fairwinds

Or you can run the shock cord down both sides of the mast to the bow handle. I use a piece of 1/4", about 9-10' long. You want to adjust the tension just enough to cock the board forward to hold it in position, but loose enough to raise or lower or remove with one hand.

Back