cutting metal bailer

ylojelo

351ads4.jpg

using a dremel, I've cut into the metal bailer, and whacked it with a cold chisel and a BFH, but it still won't budge. any suggestions?

(This is a '74 used in saltwater)

either you dont have enough cuts or havent gone deep enough is all i can think. Or when you are doing it pu the chisel in one of the lines that you cut, hammer it in and pop off the piece. worked for me. or Hit it harder :)

if you use the brute force (hammer) method, be sure to support the hull very well around the drain so that you don't crack anything. I removed mine last year from a '72 using a spiral saw (Rotozip). I put the spiral bit in the hole and CAREFULLY cut sideways until I was through the side of the metal sleeve. I did this on two or three sides and the whole thing just fell out. Worked like a charm.

Try cutting 2 "pie" shaped sections,( 1/4") then using the chisel, remove one "pie" section at a time. Hold the chisel parallel with the floor, and hit towards the center. this should remove sections of threads from one another. Then after 2 or three 1/4' "pies" are removed, you should be able to work around the rest of the nut, hitting it towards the center. The threads are locked together, and hitting downward doesn't always seperate the top from the bottom, you could possibly damage the cockpit floor.
Does that help?

That did it. Deeper cuts to make a 1/4" pie and a whack from a cold chisel did trick. Took out one more pie piece and the whole nut broke loose. All i had to do was tap the bailer out though the bottom. 5 minutes later, my '74 had a new bailer installed.

thanks

Kool, ....did your new bailer fit right in? I had to enlarge the hole a bit in order for the o ring to fit inside the hole. I sailed it with the new bailer and it was tight. I didn't open the plug because I kept the cockpit dry, so I still need to test it out to see if it does it's job.

Kool, ....did your new bailer fit right in? I had to enlarge the hole a bit in order for the o ring to fit inside the hole. I sailed it with the new bailer and it was tight.

For the plastic bailer that I am familiar with, the O-ring fits in a groove in the 'outside' part of the bailer. The O-ring is pressed against the hull to keep the water out by tightening the 'inside' plastic cap. Officially (class rules), there should be a small space between the outside part of the bailer and the hull.

I've always wondered why there was a space between the bailer and the bottom of the hull. You mean that's a sailing rule? What is the rationale behind that?

I've always wondered why there was a space between the bailer and the bottom of the hull. You mean that's a sailing rule? What is the rationale behind that?

Not a sailing rule. Just a class rule; only relevant if you want to race. Having the bailer flush with the hull would result in somewhat better flow around the bailer which would constitute a non-legal advantage.

PS: I don't really know the origin, or rationale, of this 'design feature'. I guess having the O-ring on the outside provides a better seal. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

The hole was the exact size. I have a gap between the bailer and the hull. I figured its design is to allow the o-ring to be compressed, and form a seal, before the bailer housing comes in contact with the hull, preventing such a seal.

Back