Cutting down Trailex support rods

msanford

I don't know what the specific difference is with my particular Trailex trailer, but it's a couple inches taller that the other trailers at my club. Getting my boat up and over the gunwale supports to get on the dolly poses me some challenges with my own height being on the shorter side. I am wondering if anyone else has taken an inch or two off these supports? Would the boat sit too dangerously low?

Thanks

Is it taller than other Trailex trailers?

I recently bought a new Trailex trailer and noticed that the supports are taller than necessary. I considered shortening mine but since I use the trailer for other boats, I decided to leave it as it was. Its nice to see someone else make the same observation.

Is it taller than other Trailex trailers?

I don't remember the numbers, however I can say that when I help others take off their boats, we don't even think about it. But when we get on the transom of mine we struggle to lift over the support posts. My hitch on the car is about the same as others, so it's not the pitch caused by the height of the bow.

Previously I owned an older Kitty Hawk trailer for my Laser and from memory it seemed that the bars were about 2" lower ( not a reliable number :). Not having any Trailex trailers for Lasers nearby for comparison, I wondered if they are all this high.I

Even the Kitty Hawk was high enough to pose some trouble for me to remove the boat by myself, if lifting it over the bars, though i could do it.

My Trailex trailer is a 2003; the distance from the frame to the top of the support is about 32 cm or 12.5".
What's yours?

Mine, purchased in summer of 2020, measures 34cm or 13 3/8" from the top of the frame member to the top of the support.

I think I am going to cut my supports down ~1 1/2" . I think I will cut right on the cotter pin line then add new cotter pin holes. I will let this thread know how it turns out in the end. Thanks everyone for your helpful posts

Back