Cut a Window in sail?

thefish

Am still very early on learning curve for my SF...only been out 3x. Hard for me to bend over and watch for other boats, boom to shift, etc. Don't want to make boat more tippy by raising halyard. Would like to see more easily, mostly for safety purposes. Anybody know about creating a window in sail by cutting a rectangle and replacing it with a clear, heavy duty plastic?

Thanks.

"Let a sailmaker do it" good advice. If your handy with a sewing machine you might be able to do it, the opening in the sail needs to be cut and the edges heated to prevent fraying, then the window is sewn in. The Sunfish racing sail comes with a window if you are into upgrading.

I would not try it, everyone will be able to tell that it's a "do it yourself" hack. If you want some fun, try making a entire sail out of plastic. I'd like to see some pictures of an attempt, might inspire others to do the same.

I'm with the majority here, and here's why.
While a sewing machine needle goes between strand of the fabric it has to pierce a hole in the vinyl of the window, and try to draw it back through. The vinyl closes down on the needle and you plenty of horsepower and most home machines just do not have the power. So unles you have access to a commercial sewing machine let the pros do it.

First, let a sailmaker do it!!! If you have a high powered sewing machine, you could try it, but it is 99% likely that the sail will be ruined. If you really want to try, sew the plastic in place first, THEN cut away the sail material. That is how sailmakers do it. You do not need to "heat seal" the edges of the sailcloth. BB

Wow! I'm impressed. I had no idea that there would be such unanimity about it being a crappy idea. But on the other hand...I can't be the first person to have this problem; a bit older, just starting to sail, a bit stiff in the knees, back and neck, but not wanting to miss out on such a great experience as this. Why aren't SF sails with windows more ubiquitous?Wouldn't it be a good idea for everyone?

On the other hand, would it temper any of your advice to me if I told you that here in Iowa with all its small lakes and its short sailing season that my sail has a pretty easy life? You know, just some lite winds, no racing, no fancy stuff...just fun/EZ sailing. BTW, if you had to throw a number out there, what is the expected longevity of the sail if it gets used say, perhaps 12 times a year for a couple of hours each time?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
RIF

Contrary to most opinions, I think it is quite easy to add a clear vinyl window to a Sunfish sail, assuming you have access to a home sewing machine and a wife who will do the sewing.

Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/) sells a kit that includes everything you need to install the window. It is Item Number: 33106A and the price is $10.50 plus shipping. The maximum window size is 12" x 54". Just enter the word "window" in their search box to locate the kit.

They also have a free video that you can view online that demonstrates how to install the window (Item Number: 200266).

I installed a window in my Sunfish sail several years ago, using their kit and it was easy to do. Check it out and see what you think.

Judkei
Reno, NV

Yes, it seems like it is worth a try. The SF I have is 3rd hand and shows it. I figure I don't have a lot of money into it and the upside is worth it if it works. I am going to take an ASA sailing class soon, but I'm really worried about crashing into someone enjoying their afternoon on their pontoon. At this point, (1 solo trip) I do not have control of this thing. I got so wrapped up in the excitement of sailing yesterday, that I came really close to crashing into a pier b/c I couldn't see.

Hey, Judkei, why do you think a window is not put in as a matter of routine? Too dorky looking? Adds more expense? It seems like a matter of simple safety.

Tx,
thefish

Contrary to most opinions, I think it is quite easy to add a clear vinyl window to a Sunfish sail, assuming you have access to a home sewing machine and a wife who will do the sewing.
:rolleyes:

They also have a free video that you can view online that demonstrates how to install the window (Item Number: 200266).
... and they use a North Sunfish sail for the demo ... how nice of them.

http://www.sailrite.com/Window-Installation-in-a-Sail-Streaming-Video

Requires MS Silverlight Video Player
- Like Flash Player in HD -
This is the same free video player you used
if you watched the Beijing Olympics on-line.

http://silverlight.sailrite.com/sail-window-installation/default.html

Sailrite (http://www.sailrite.com/) sells a kit that includes everything you need to install the window. It is Item Number: 33106A and the price is $10.50 plus shipping. The maximum window size is 12" x 54". Just enter the word "window" in their search box to locate the kit.

I installed a window in my Sunfish sail several years ago, using their kit and it was easy to do. Check it out and see what you think.

Judkei
Reno, NV

I was hoping someone would offer a dissent.

Why aren't SF sails with windows more ubiquitous?Wouldn't it be a good idea for everyone?

BTW, if you had to throw a number out there, what is the expected longevity of the sail if it gets used say, perhaps 12 times a year for a couple of hours each time?

RIF

Regarding the first question, recreational sailors 99% of the time have the sail set high enough that no window is needed. Racers have the boom nearly dragging on the deck in the front, so windows are standard in racing sails.

Regarding the second question, I seriously think 15-20 or more years is very reasonable. They just don't seem to wear out. They will fade a bit and they stretch a bit, but not enough to have any impact whatsoever on their recreational performance. Even racers will still do well with a 5 year old sail.

BB

"...I can't be the first person to have this problem; a bit older, just starting to sail, a bit stiff in the knees, back and neck, but not wanting to miss out on such a great experience as this..."
The shallow cockpit in my Porpoise II (a 13' clone of the Sunfish) introduced me to "recumbent sailing" in my Sunfish.

Put a cushion in the bottom of the cockpit, your feet up on the splash rail, and you'll be able to see traffic pretty well. It's easy on the back, too.

If you're sailing for four hours at a stretch, as I'm inclined to do, it will eventually get uncomfortable. However, for a few hour's of relaxed sailing, it's as though you've got an air-propelled chaise-lounge chair—where the scenery changes every second! :)

This technique is not for "heavy air" days. That's when I have to squint at traffic through the substantial window in my racing sail—a window that has definitely seen clearer days. :rolleyes:

We are currently building a new sail from Sailrite kit. Have previously installed window in old Walker Bay dinghy sail. Very easy with a good sewing machine. Do not, repeat, do not, cut the sail before you attach the window material. Sew first, then cut and trim. When in doubt, read the instructions.

Back