cunningham

hovakm

Can someone please tell/show me how to rig the cunningham, and dose the C14.2 use a downhaul? If so, where dose it cleat? The C14.2 is new to me, I've been sailing Hobie 16's for a long time but the kids are scared of it. They saw daddy have a violent pitchpole :eek:. I began looking for a monohull and figured the Capri would be the perfect family boat. Thank you,

Here's a diagram, the cunningham is important, i didn't even know what it was when i got my boat. you can use the jam cleat above the main halyd cleat or you can tie the cunningham around the base of the vang. Hope this helps WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!

Attachments

• cunninghamdownhaul.jpg
    cunninghamdownhaul.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 85
Kyle Are you anchoring your boom tp prevent it from being pulled up with either a sail stop or a line?

You should anchor your cunningham control line either just at the cunningham cringle or add some extra purchase by anchoring to some other point on the mast . The lower cringle (Tack) should anchor to the Boom with the screw fitting .

I run my jib single purchase , a single direct line - no block arrangement , so I have both ( port /starboard) jam V-cleats available for the cunningham , run a line from one up to and through the cringle then back down to the other cleat . Skippers with Roller furlers should be able to do this to.

Good sailing !

Rob

Hi Rob!

Your method is different from the one shown in the C14 h/book "Rigging Diagram revised 5-2-84"? ....This is how I have mine rigged and it works ok for me!. (Q) Is there a problem with this method?

According to the diag the line is first passed UP through the "cam cleat" (located on the Starboard side of the mast) then up through the cunningham cringle, then back down and through the hole in the gooseneck. This dead end is now anchored with a stop knot on the end that is now poking out of the hole on the s/board side and you're done. The cunningham can now be adjusted at the cam cleat. (note: I did have some trouble understanding the diag at first but soon found the reason why, the last person that installed the goose neck on my boat had it upside down so the hole was at the bottom which was simple enough to correct by undoing the 2 setting screws and flipping it over)

Thanks

Thank you everyone for all the great help, had my new used boat out today for the first time, everthing went well thanks to this site. I rigged the cunningham just as pictured but I felt it gave te sail an odd shape, too much luff. I also rigged it like a downhaul bypassing the sail and going streight from the goose neck to the cleat. The sail shape was moore uniform but noticed no change when the sails were full of air either way. Dose anyone rig this way? I am used to sailing Hobie 16's with full batton sails so the cunningham is new to me, we just use a downhaul to flatten out the crows feet. Thanks again and happy sailing.

The difference between a cunningham downhaul and a standard downhaul is that the cunningham is designed to facilitate a quick and precise change in sail shape. Whatever tacks your jib thouhg, like i said i didnt even know what a cunningham was before a little research.

Your method is different from the one shown in the C14 h/book "Rigging Diagram revised 5-2-84"? ....This is how I have mine rigged and it works ok for me!. (Q) Is there a problem with this method?
[/I]

No problem George, other than I never liked the way the sail looked using that method - it wanted to always pull the boom/gooseneck upward making the foot of the sail look ugly.
Securing the gooseneck with a sailstop or line would probably help .

I do recommend the single line jib halyard to those not using a roller furler .

Good sailing !

Rob

No problem George, other than I never liked the way the sail looked using that method - it wanted to always pull the boom/gooseneck upward making the foot of the sail look ugly.
Securing the gooseneck with a sailstop or line would probably help .

I do recommend the single line jib halyard to those not using a roller furler .

Good sailing !

Rob

Thanks Rob! didn't realize you had replied to this query, I now understand your reason. My gooseneck is actually locked in place so there's no movement up nor down!
The single line jib halyard works great for me, one of the first things I changed!

Back