Cunningham Rigging

torrid

Just sailing
I am looking at updating my cunningham rig.

Ideally, I would like to have my cunningham and outhaul on opposite sides of the mast so they don't interfere with each other. I could do this if the upper part of my cunningham were a hook with blocks attached which I could just attach to the cringle in the sail. Everything is separated, and it is quick to rig.

I know I can't do this as the rules state "The cunningham control line shall pass through the sail tack cringle as a moving line". My hook idea is clearly in violation of that rule.

Is there a reason why it must pass through as a moving line? And does it offer any advantage? I thought I read once it was preferrable to have the cunningham pull down the sail from both sides instead of one side and getting assymetric loading on the rig.

It's worded as it is because it used to be the only thing that secured the rig into the boat, you didn't wan't to risk losing the rig because the hook fell off when there was no cunningham tension. Now with the higher purchase cunninghams, which don't retain the rig unless there is a reasonable amount of cunningham on the rules could be changed as long as everyone actually used the retaining line.

I am looking at updating my cunningham rig.
Ideally, I would like to have my cunningham and outhaul on opposite sides of the mast so they don't interfere with each other. ---snip---

Curious as to what type of interference you have. Mine is pretty close to a standard setup, with a moving line thru the cunningham, and there is no interference between the two.

Curious as to what type of interference you have. Mine is pretty close to a standard setup, with a moving line thru the cunningham, and there is no interference between the two.

I worked this rig up some time ago when the new control lines rules first came out. I've since replaced the cunningham primary with dyneema, but it is largely the same. I was going for something that was simple to rig and didn't create a bunch of extra line in the cockpit

8055089393_368d2fb10b_z.jpg

My solution to preventing interference was to dead end the cunningham primary to the holes in the gooseneck. I have a turning block for the outhaul tied to the gooseneck, which would be an interference problem if I didn't deadend the cunningham like this.

After all these years I'm re-evaluating my rig. I'm probably going to do something with the cunningham that ties around the mast at the vang tang with line going up both sides of the mast. This will interfere with my current outhaul arrangement. I need to go to some sort of floating block with the outhaul line to get it away from the gooseneck.

I use the system in this video, never gave me any problems.

Do you wrap the cunningham sheet around the boom like he does?

here I put one block on the opposite side as the tang, and run the non-cleated line from there,

It keeps the cunningham out of the way, when its windy I really crank it on because I'm on the lighter side, doesn't get stuck

the block on the tack eye is single becket, and its attached with a lightweight d-shackle for easy rigging

the cleated line starts at the becket, goes through the block opposite the vang tang, back through the becket block, then deck block,

doesn't leave alot of line in the cockpit when its full on cunnigham conditions

How-to-rig-a-Laser-sailboat-Rs22.jpg

Do you wrap the cunningham sheet around the boom like he does?

here I put one block on the opposite side as the tang, and run the non-cleated line from there,

It keeps the cunningham out of the way, when its windy I really crank it on because I'm on the lighter side, doesn't get stuck

the block on the tack eye is single becket, and its attached with a lightweight d-shackle for easy rigging

the cleated line starts at the becket, goes through the block opposite the vang tang, back through the becket block, then deck block,

doesn't leave alot of line in the cockpit when its full on cunnigham conditions

How-to-rig-a-Laser-sailboat-Rs22.jpg

This is the sort of cunningham rig I am thinking about. Fairly clean and simple. I haven't seen wrapping the cunningham line around the boom before, but it looks a little gimmicky. Seems like it could be a hassle if not rigged just right.

I have never had a problem with it rigged around the boom, I heard it was supposed to help take pressure off the vang tang. I suppose it takes a little bit longer to rig each time, but other than that, it is good. I prefer the lower purchase too.

It's worded as it is because it used to be the only thing that secured the rig into the boat, you didn't wan't to risk losing the rig because the hook fell off when there was no cunningham tension. Now with the higher purchase cunninghams, which don't retain the rig unless there is a reasonable amount of cunningham on the rules could be changed as long as everyone actually used the retaining line.

It is possible if the boat turtles and the topmast is loose in the bottom mast it can fall out. And take the sail with it if it clew is secured with just a hook. Particularly with an older boat where the spar might not be watertight and takes on water during an extended period turtled. Not a likely scenario for most people but I saw it happen once with a beginning Laser sailor a number of years ago. So maybe the continuos line through the tack isn't a totally bad idea.

More likely for the whole rig to fall out than just the top section. I've seen this happen a few dozen times (including once to me) when people capsized down wind when they had little or no cunningham on in the pre new control line days. When I used to check whether people had mast retaining lines on, those without or had them too loose to be effective, I used to just lift the rig off the boat, not many people argued their need after that. You couldn't do that easily with the 4:1 cunninghams but 8:1 you actually need a lot of cunningham on to prevent it.

Back