Class Politics Cunningham Quick Release

J

JohnPorter

Since one of the biggest hassles with the pro rigging is to tie the bowline in the cunningham line going through the sail, would it be legal to use a tylaska spool shackle or similar quick release device to attach this line. Doing so would allow more consistent and simple rigging of the cunningham.

I hate to be rude, but come on, its bowline, it take 10 seconds....

Re: rabbit goes out of the hole...

The bowline time isn't the big deal in my limited experience. At the end of the day under a load, it's trying to get your fingernails in to get that bowline apart in that skinny waxy red line. I bring a sharp awl to get it apart if it's too tight.

I'm no expert but Rule 3 (a) vi says, "When an “Optional” block, or shock cord is attached to a fitting, line, mast, boom or the sail, it may be attached either with or without a shackle, clips, balls, hooks and/or a tie line." (My emphasis).

So am I right in thinking that the primary cunningham line may be attached to the top block through which the secondary line runs with some kind of shackle or quick release clip?

So am I right in thinking that the primary cunningham line may be attached to the top block through which the secondary line runs with some kind of shackle or quick release clip?

VtGent49 has a shackle on his C'ham, so it must be right! :D

I hate to admit it in public, but I spent the money for Rooster Sailing's cunningham secondary line that has an eye splice in both ends. It's nice to have.

Here are some pictures of a system I've been using for several years. The "quick release" part is a wichard shackle which is small enough (just) to pass through the tack cringle (with a non-captive pin).

Attachments

• CHam.jpg
    CHam.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 392
  • CHamBottom.jpg
    CHamBottom.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 401
  • CHamTop.jpg
    CHamTop.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 336
Here are some pictures of a system I've been using for several years. The "quick release" part is a wichard shackle which is small enough (just) to pass through the tack cringle (with a non-captive pin).

When you remove your kicker from the mast (which I assume you do as it appears attached using a Fastpin), do you leave the Cunningham attached and remove it from the deck blocks and cleats (as it appears attached to the kicker system with a normal clevis pin) ?

Ian

When you remove your kicker from the mast (which I assume you do as it appears attached using a Fastpin), do you leave the Cunningham attached and remove it from the deck blocks and cleats (as it appears attached to the kicker system with a normal clevis pin) ?

Ian

Good eye!

If I am going to sail the next day then I usually detach the cunningham from the vang with the wichard shackle, pull it through the cringle so the sail is "released" (able to be removed from the mast). Then I pull the fast pin so the vang is released from the mast and lay it all out on the deck. Undo the outhaul, mast down and deal with the sail, put the deck cover on and you are done until the next day.

If I'm not sailing then I remove all the lines and take them home.

Did the rule cange? I have been using the shackle since I befgan testing the new rigging pre approval...But...Paul Milsom made me take of the shackle and use a knot for the Hyannis Worlds.
I made everybody tie a knot for the US Olympic Trials in Houston.

I think the Shackle can be read into the rule as legal. Milsom did not agree.

What is the current ILCA position?.

Did the rule cange? I have been using the shackle since I befgan testing the new rigging pre approval...But...Paul Milsom made me take of the shackle and use a knot for the Hyannis Worlds.
I made everybody tie a knot for the US Olympic Trials in Houston.

I think the Shackle can be read into the rule as legal. Milsom did not agree.

What is the current ILCA position?.

In Brazil Jean-Luc Michon said "yes, this is legal" since, having remembered what you said about Paul Milsom in Hyannis, I made a real point of asking him. My recollection, which I am trying to verify, is that rule 3(a)vi, as cited by OG above, is the reason.

Tracy

If it bothers you - why not splice the primary permanently to the block and rig in reverse by passing the bitter end of the primary up thru the tack and back down to end it at the vang using a simple 'cisco hitch' (thumb not in the end and half hitch around the vang pin.)

I use a "fastpin" (autually I use a fastpin to attached the vang block to the mast and another to attach the cunningham block to the Harken vang block). I assume this must be legat as they are clevis pins but without split rings to keep them in place. The rules do not appear to define what sort of clevis pin should be used.

Actually the Cunningham attaches to a becket on a block, the block being attached to the Harken vang thingy (bit less sure about this being 100% legal). It is attached to the Cunningham fititng on the vang cleating block (as per the rules - just that it uses a block with a becket to attach to it (the block also being a turning block for the Cunningham control line)

Ian

Ill I do is tie a one design know, ehich is kindof hard to untie if you crank on your cunningham, but it uses very little line and is fairly easy to untie!

havent checked, but I doubt it

I have a copy of how I do it, send me a message dougreynolds10, and I'll scan it and email it to you, it's pretty slick

I just have a small S-hook (http://tinyurl.com/23yb6w) permanently attached to the top of the top double beckett in the cunningham purchase, and a loop tied in the cunningham line. Lead it up through the sail and back down to the s-hook.

My reading of the rules says that should be ok?

When the new controls came out I tried the cascade kicker and found that there never was quite enough travel on it.

I now have the arrangement at similar to others who have posted pics here. Single block at the bottom and a block with a becket tied to the primary. The primary I then lop through the pin on the vang and tie it off using 2 half hithces. I have also found that using slippery rope really doesn't help much. Using a good quality blobk the right size for the rope makes much more difference.

I have 4mm pre stretch for the primary and 5mm 16 plait braid for the secondary (not sure of the brand but it came with the UK XD kit by the look of it).

Hi Ross,

I had the blocks right up at the cringle in the sail and still found I ran out of travel when the wind got up. The 'other' way requires a bit more brute strength as it has less purchase but it works for me (and several others it would appear).

Paul

Oh, downhaul, right.

Well you might want to explore a different set up with different blocks, but if you found something that works, good on ya.

Oh, downhaul, right.

Well you might want to explore a different set up with different blocks, but if you found something that works, good on ya.

D'oh....of course I meant cunningham. Brain has switched off. I hate working Sundays after sailing!

yea on Sundays I'm out of it as well..

The normal downhaul is two doubles with beckets, which is an 8:1 I beleive, you might want to try the one that SFBayLaser has posted above, which is a 3:1? I've tried it, but I like something a bit easier to pull, so I made a 4:1 (I beleive) which I shall post on my blog soon, it's very nice!

would using sister clips on the outhaul line around the mast that holds on the 2 single blocks on the mast be illegal?

I had this same question. The official laser upgrade package instruct you to tie three bowlines in a shoelace thick line. I can tie bowlines with my eyes closed, but this seems a waste of time to have to retie every time, and it is a hassle to untie such a skinny line. Does anyone know for sure what the answer is on using sister clips?

It appears that some use a shackle attached to the gooseneck. I would think if a shackle is OK, sister clips would be OK.

I learned of a very quick and simple method several years ago for this issue. I use a quick release pin for attaching the vang to the tang. By tying a loop in the secondary cunningham line that passes through the sail grommet, i slide it onto the vang tang then connect the vang. the bottom double block remains attached to the vang all the time. By using the quick release pin with the vang I can install and remove the vang and cunningham combo in less than a minute. To ensure against chaffing, i used whipping thread to cover the line made into a loop where it meets the tang.

It sounds like I use the same system as Groover.
The only thing I have to do with my cunningham primary line is feed it through the sail cringe and then push the loop on the end of the line over the vang tie. Using a quick pin I then attach the vang. When I remove the vang the cunningham line loop just falls off and as I pull away the vang the primary line feeds itself out of the sail cringe and stays on the vang. No tying, no problem. I only take off the vang to take home for security, and to comply with my insurance cover.

Back