Cunningham problem

altair

I rigged the cunningham according to the information on this site and the sunfish bible. However, I ran into a problem. After I tied an eight knot in the 1st grommet above the tack, the instructions say to run the tail through the eye on the plastic cap on the end of the lower boom. However, the nut which holds the eye bolt on the lower boom is just behind the cap and is in the way. There is no way to feed a line through this because of the nut? The nut came with the boom. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Altair

I bought a new Sunfish this year and I ran into the same problem I used a small diameter wire tape it to the 1/8"dia line and thread the wire through the lower boom and then pull the line through. I agree that it is not a easy job. Hope this helps

Kevin :)

One "trick" to add to the cunningham and outhauls was to use 236 Harken clam cleat blocks which include a roller and make using a triple purchase easy. A loop ahead of the block with a thimble to allow the line to slip, then around the roller through the thimble and back to the cleat.

Most of the Cunninghams I have seen including mine run from the second "Cunningham" grommet down through the first grommet and then back to the cleat. It works well with no binding.

The other thing to do is to take the the end cap at the end of the boom out and turn it slightly, then re drill the hole for the eye bolt. This will give you enough clearance to pass a line through the end cap and clear the nut.

Back