Cuddy hatch

Hopefully someone with a Mod 1 or Mod 2 can help you. And, dig deeper into this forum and you will find good information about the various models' cuddy boxes and how to deal with them. I would answer that, yes, it is desirable to be able to keep the cuddy hatch opening covered (sealed) especially when sailing in any significant wind so that you are prepared if you capsize. My 2016 Mod 3 has a cover and Catalina/Capri has gone to them as standard on dinghy models since they are desirable and maybe necessary from a safety standpoint.

Look at the pics I sent and see how the Mod 1 hatch has 3 fasteners that hold a canvas bag. It's quite useful for stowing all the lines that would otherwise lay on the floor, along with lots of room for other stuff. And in the remote event you capsized it will keep the cuddy from flooding, especially important if you have batteries like I do. Although with the Baby Bob on top of the mast you wouldn't turtle. the boat would lay on it's side and float high in the water. The cockpit would not even get wet! BTW I made that hatch cover in my woodshop, the original one was trashed. I just used it for a template and then threw it away.

Look at the pics I sent and see how the Mod 1 hatch has 3 fasteners that hold a canvas bag. It's quite useful for stowing all the lines that would otherwise lay on the floor, along with lots of room for other stuff. And in the remote event you capsized it will keep the cuddy from flooding, especially important if you have batteries like I do. Although with the Baby Bob on top of the mast you wouldn't turtle. the boat would lay on it's side and float high in the water. The cockpit would not even get wet! BTW I made that hatch cover in my woodshop, the original one was trashed. I just used it for a template and then threw it away.
Aquaman rocks and his prior posts look good. Try marine grade plywood or gatorboard.

Yep it was a challenging woodshop project to dead nuts duplicate the hatch. Especially needed my router table to work the edges. My boat's a 1986 Mod 1, it was a beat up orphan that I got for only $1,200. Put a bunch of time and $$ into it so it's something special now. Feel free to ask if you want more detailed info........
Cheers!

Does anyone have a template for the mod 1 cuddly hatch? I think we will have to make one but our boat didn’t have one when it came into our hands. Any pictures that show what it looked like and how it was held in would help.

Does anyone have a template for the mod 1 cuddly hatch? I think we will have to make one but our boat didn’t have one when it came into our hands. Any pictures that show what it looked like and how it was held in would help.
Hi,
I'm in the same boat your in (no pun intended) with needing a hatch for my gen one. I was thinking about squeezing inside the cuddy and tracing the opening from the inside on cardboard. Securing it is another matter.

Don’t get stuck! I googled “cuddly hatch cover latch” and quite a few possibilities popped up. I would still like to see what it is supposed to look like before I invest too much time and money :)

Next week I plan on getting my Capri out from under the tarps. After that I can make a template on heavy paper and mail it to you. Keep in mind you have to be good with a router and belt sander to accomplish the task! Also need to find the hardware for the bag toggles and latch. In the meantime I'll see if I can post a good pic.
Happy Hunting!

Back