Cubby Upgrade

garrickm78

I have a 92 Mod II and wanted more storage. I read about other people who had removed the fiberglass sleeve and added a door, basically reverting it to the Mod I configuration, and wanted to give it a try. I also wanted a frame to mount a battery in since I use a trolling motor. I also ran wire from the cubby under the seats and installed a 12V outlet near the motor mount. Here's some pictures of how it turned out:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

My next step is to make a door, I'll take more pics once that's done.

Hey, looks good. I might copy your design for the floorboards . When I got my Capri Mod 1 someone had already painted the floors and walls white. It really brightened things up. I didn't get a door on mine so I bought a piece of "Starboard" from a local plastics place for $12 and cut out a stiff piece of cardboard to use as a template. It came out great ,except the starboard white is more like eggshell white, so it didn't match my newly painted bright white interior, and the starboard is "grainy' not perfectly smooth. Pic enclosed.

Attachments

• Capri pic 2.JPG
    Capri pic 2.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 198
Update

I've finished the door finally. It's made out of oak plywood and sealed with poly. I've got a gasket behind it to hopefully be watertight when closed.

4.jpg

Great upgrade

Your craftsmanship is outstanding!!!

I just got my Capri 14.2 about a week ago and I would love to do this upgrade. Do you have any specs/plans that I might be able to follow? I'd even like to put in the remote trolling motor plug. How in the world did you route the wires???

I need to replace the teak on deck, yours looks fantastic. Did you buy new wood or simply refinish the existing?

Thanks in advance for the response. Again, great looking boat.

Thanks! Unfortunatly I don't have plans, just did my best to replicate the 3 trim pieces using the old pieces as templates. I didn't have easy access or want to spend a lot on teak, so I used oak instead and put several coats of marine poly to seal it. Adding the outlet was easy, once you take out the cubby sleeve you can see down the side of the boat around the seats and can fish the wire.

good looking work !

That is really nice looking. How much weight did all the structural wood add to the boat ?

John

The weight of the flooring inside the cuddy was definately something I was concerned about. I used pressure treated 1x4s and didn't do a solid floor to keep it as light as possible. I think the total weight added was 10-15 pounds from what I could tell. My U1 battery that powers my trolling motor is 25 pounds and is significantly heavier than the floor.

How to run wires from cubby to the transom

Hi, I’m a new C14 owner. I have a mod-2 and want to mount the batter for my electric motor in the cubby and mount a plug on the transom. I’m thinking of creating an access hole inside the cubby on one side, then another under the seat next to the transom. I understand there are bladder bags under the seats so I’m nervous that after cutting into the boat, I still might not be able to thread the wire.
Any advise would be appreciated.

The bags in my model 1 leave plenty of room for running wires. They look like they are 1 foot by 1 foot by 1 foot in size, and maybe six bags on each side.

I expect the bags haven't changed for the model 2.

John

Cuddy Upgrade

Nice job on your cuddy! I've had my 14.2 mod I for nearly a month and have yet to sail her. I've peered inside the cuddy a time or two, and have built a new door as mine was badly delaminated. I hadn't thought of anything like what you've done. What a fantastic idea!

I've been working on other areas while figuring out what to do with broken mast stays, including replacing the hiking straps, cleaning/inspecting/replacing lines as needed and making the centerboard work more freely. I bought a used aluminum boat lift yesterday, as I have access to a spot on our lake to leave her rather than have the hassle of trailering all the time. I hope the boat fits, as the lift is a little skinny, measuring 4'6" between the two forward supports. I'll probably have to set the lift deep in the lake to clear them.

I ordered some 1x19 3/32" stainless cable after locating a swedging tool at Lowe's this morning. (item#45915, four sizes of crimp, under $30) I'll have plenty of cable, as the roll is 200' long. Maybe some locals will need some too. The cable is coming from eriggingsupply.com. They also sell the copper sleeves. A box of 100 is under $10 I think.

Anyway,
Thanks for the fantastic idea!
Happy sailing!

I ordered some 1x19 3/32" stainless cable after locating a swedging tool at Lowe's this morning. (item#45915, four sizes of crimp, under $30) I'll have plenty of cable, as the roll is 200' long. Maybe some locals will need some too. The cable is coming from eriggingsupply.com. They also sell the copper sleeves. A box of 100 is under $10 I think.
I'm wondering about the copper sleeves and hand swaging tool. Will these swages hold up under close hauled loads or in a puff? Anyone have any idea what the acceptable loads for these would be? Maybe eriggingsupply?

I have a 92 Mod II and wanted more storage. I read about other people who had removed the fiberglass sleeve and added a door, basically reverting it to the Mod I configuration, and wanted to give it a try. I also wanted a frame to mount a battery in since I use a trolling motor. I also ran wire from the cubby under the seats and installed a 12V outlet near the motor mount. Here's some pictures of how it turned out:

View attachment 8826

View attachment 8827

View attachment 8828

My next step is to make a door, I'll take more pics once that's done.

How did you remove the plastic cubby? I'm thinking of doing this to reinforce the area beneath my mast bracket. Plus... I love your battery idea!!

Back