CT River Race

Snow Guy

Is anybody interested in a distance race on the lower CT river? I was initially thinking of doing it with friends, but figured it'd be more fun with more people. I would like to see a general level of interest before I go about organizing everything. Obviously a real race will take more work than just a race between friends.

Most likely it would be from Haddam Meadows to Essex, which is a distance of about 10 miles. The best date would be May 14. That's the week after Frostbite YC's spring series ends and before the summer traffic starts. I would like to have the party/awards at either Essex YC or Essex Corinthian YC. The hardest part of this is going to be trying to figure out the logistics of getting the sailors back to their vehicles and the dollies/trailers down to Essex. I'm sure it can be done though.

There will be multiple classes. I already have a few Lasers, a couple JY15's and a Sol Cat that want to do it. Any ramp-launchable classes would be welcome and given a OD start if there are more than 4 boats. At this point, I'm thinking there will be a Laser class, a JY class, a monohull handicapped class and a multihull handicapped class.

I think this would be fun since it's not often you come across a distance race for dinghies. If anybody is interested in doing this, spread the word to others and reply to this thread or send me a pm.

For you old-timers that still have memories, this is a shortened version of what used to be a two-day event in Sunfish - The CT River is a really nice scenic body of water and regardless of how serious you are, the views will be pretty memorable (Heck, about a mile down river you sail past the Goodspeed Opera House)

For you old-timers that still have memories, this is a shortened version of what used to be a two-day event in Sunfish - The CT River is a really nice scenic body of water and regardless of how serious you are, the views will be pretty memorable (Heck, about a mile down river you sail past the Goodspeed Opera House)

Exactly. It's basically the second day of that race. I moved to the area around the time that that race died out. I wanted to do the race, but just found out about it too late. Now's my chance. I figured one day would make it much easier to do than a whole weekend thing. Also, it will be a little more competition driven since you won't have to carry all the camping gear.

We have a similar event here in Virginia where we race up the Elizabeth River, its alot of fun and a great test of endurence

Between here and Sailing Anarchy, it looks like there is enough interest to do this. I have to talk to some people to get the logistics straightened out, mainly where the take out point is going to be. Also, transportation between Haddam and Essex is going to difficult. If anybody would like to help out with a high capacity vehicle, it would be great. I may be able to get a friend with his panel van, but he works 3 weeks on/3 off, so that might not work.

I will do my best to get a NOR out in the next couple of weeks.

The NOR is official. Now let's hope for a strong NW breeze.

196929_1629618388731_1484740903_31298923_3438523_n.jpg

Back