Cross Sheet Main Traveler

Tim McCormick

I have seen a cross sheeting system for the main travelers on J24s. When I asked APS about it, they did not seem to know what I was talking about. So I was hoping someone could let me know the size of the blocks that are needed, length of the traveler sheet, and the size of the eye hole.

Thanks!

Tim

Hi Dogfish, I was actually talking about the set up I saw on the north sails video from the 90s. Maybe the system is no longer used I am not sure. It had a turning block for the traveler sheet , which was continuous so you could pre-set the traveler before a tack. I just purchased the boat and when I saw that I thought it would help with tacks.

Thanks

Tim

Tim, if you will be pursuing an alternative setup (which involves a traveler car with no cleats, at least 2, if not 4 additional blocks on the deck, and 2 cleats on the deck near the helm), I recommend reaching out to your J24 professional at either North or Quantum for feedback. There were very few solid, professional teams who did not switch to the windward sheeting car in the 90s. Today, I'd estimate 99% of the fleet uses the car that I indicated.

Now the additional variable, is that some teams use the car that I showed you with two separate traveler lines to a small cheek block at the end of the traveler, and others use a continuous line that runs from the car to the rail and then across the boat and back to the car. In either case, the intent is so that when roll tacking you can promptly zip the car across to the new windward side.

No teams that I'm aware of would recommend dropping the traveler in advance of executing your turn to tack.

Bob.

Thanks Bob, I figured it was a little outdated as I was not finding anything. The continuous line options sounds great to me. Thanks for all of the information! I have trimmed on a 24 before but never drove, so this part of the boat is a bit of a learning curve.

Tim

Definitely agree, but as a former trimmer, your own experience should inform the priorities as a driver, especially upwind.
1) The communication (notice) you give the trimmer and team, and setting the right expectations, sets the stage for a successful tack
2) Most drivers leave the traveler in it's position, or bring it slightly more to weather, in order to generate the weather helm which will initiate the turn
3) Your biggest priority turning through the tack is a smooth, measured turn which affords your trimmer an opportunity to do a good job
4) Balanced against coming out of the tack quickly enough to carry speed and accelerate again on the new tack

Once you're good on rate of turn and timing with the trimmer, then worry about how quickly and when to re-adjust the traveler. A lot of helms will ease the mainsheet about an inch or two and then re-cleat the sheet right in the middle of the tack while the main is luffing, but it's a headsail driven boat going upwind, so focus on your trimmer/turn-timing. Biggest gains to be made in the headsail area.

Best of luck!

Bob.

Back