Creases crisis in replica sail

Markus

Recently I bought an replica standard sail at roostersailing.com. Most of my equipment was bought there and I always was satisfied. But not now!
icon9.gif

Everything is fine until I get 20-30 centimeter before two-blocked. Then the sail creates 3-4 big creases going from the mast joint to the clew. I managed to reduce them by applying cunningham. Although I never eliminated them completely. The applying of the cunni created another creases going from the mast joint to the cunni clew. Seems to me the sail is lacking cloth ... !?

icon4.gif
Roostersailing promises the same cut and slightly heavier cloth weight.
icon4.gif

Till now I always had used original sails and they never performed like that. So is it normal for new orignal sails too that they need some stretching before getting the right shape? Or should I exchange with an new original one?

Did you ask Steve C. ? He would be the best source of info and the one that can resolve your problem.

All dacron sails that aren't heavily resinated, (the 3.8 used is Laser sails is not) will continue to change shape slightly over the first 5-10 hours of use as the yarns shift about in the weave. Even a brand new legal sail will have the same creases at first if you try to sheet in too hard.

If the sail uses fabric that has a firmer finish (more resin), then the designed luff curve has to increase.

If it were me, I would ask Steve if what you are seeing is normal, and if so, how much break-in time does he recommend

49208 said:
Did you ask Steve C. ? He would be the best source of info and the one that can resolve your problem.
I am going to mail him soon. As I already said, I was never in doubt about his products and the way he is doing business. I am just interested in some "neutral" opinions.
All dacron sails that aren't heavily resinated, (the 3.8 used is Laser sails is not) will continue to change shape slightly over the first 5-10 hours of use as the yarns shift about in the weave. Even a brand new legal sail will have the same creases at first if you try to sheet in too hard.
Even tough I have not seen an brand new legal sail I think it is heavily resinated. They advertise it as more stable ...
If the sail uses fabric that has a firmer finish (more resin), then the designed luff curve has to increase.
May be that is the problem: Similiar cut + more resin = less luff curve (even after some hours of sailing)

If it were me, I would ask Steve if what you are seeing is normal, and if so, how much break-in time does he recommend

I will let you know what Steve replied. Thanks for your quick reply.

Markus said:
Everything is fine until I get 20-30 centimeter before two-blocked. Then the sail creates 3-4 big creases going from the mast joint to the clew. I managed to reduce them by applying cunningham. Although I never eliminated them completely. The applying of the cunni created another creases going from the mast joint to the cunni clew. Seems to me the sail is lacking cloth ... !?

Is your mast joint too loose? I have heard that undesirable creases can develop if that is the case. Some people tape the joint before joining to tighted it up. I don't bother with it though.

If this is happening in light conditions you are trimmed in too tight, you can add enough cunningham to get the creases out, while keeping the right amount on the clew.

Its not the sail it is the mast joint. Put tape on the collar of your top section to make the joint very tight. I know most people use packing tape. Thats what I do and it helps with the creases.

That is what Steve C. replied:

"One disadvantage/advantage of the replica sail is it shows up potentialproblems with your spars. I think you have a bent top mast. With normallaser sails - the cloth is so soft that it does not show problmes with themast. You are suffering luff curbe starvation. Can you check your top mastand let me know how."

I checked it and the top mast section was slightly bent. Additionally the joint was not tight at all. So may be both lead to these "Creases of Horror". Unfortunately I am lacking of time to sail until next week, but I put already packaging tape on the collar and rigged the sail. And it looks much better ... Thanks for your advices!!

Back