Cracks

I have a Fish inherited from a friend. It has cracks in the deck around the cockpit. On the Starboard side they are so severe that they are flexing. What is the best remedy? Fiber Glass Over?

I have a Fish inherited from a friend. It has cracks in the deck around the cockpit. On the Starboard side they are so severe that they are flexing. What is the best remedy? Fiber Glass Over?
I've got them, too, in my ex-racer.

Fiberglass flexes. Probably not worth messin' with them until there's a failure.

The hull supports the tub and the tub supports the deck. Somewhere this is not happening so first check where
the tub bonds underneath the deck and see if it has come loose. Then push on the hull underneath the tub and
see if it flexes. There were a small amount of Sunfish made where the tub did not have a tub flange but butted
up against the deck at a 90 degree angle. These all failed as far as I know if on the very unlikely chance you have
one. The only way to fiberglass reinforce around the tub is to pop the deck loose around the tub area so you can
get underneath. I don't think the cost of reinforcing the deck from the TOP is worth the expense of a Sunfish
hull. Spider cracks are nothing to worry about but if it's flexing eventually you'll get a crack encircling the tub
which is a total breakout. Materials cost to fix will be around $100+ so you might start looking on craigslist
to snag another hull when one pops up. They go for around $100 but you will save on labor.

Ok before everyone panics about deck and hull collapses and the need for a new hull, hopefully David posts a picture. I suspect some simple repairs are in order without popping decks, etc but a pic will help us assess the situation.

Ok before everyone panics about deck and hull collapses and the need for a new hull, hopefully David posts a picture. I suspect some simple repairs are in order without popping decks, etc but a pic will help us assess the situation.
Probably fiberglass under the deck. Can you post pics?
Beldar, Yes I will Post Pics. I only Found out how bad it was when re doing the Aluminum Around the Cock Pit. When I put got that put back on properly it stiffened it some. But still as more flex than the Port side. Our club a Regatta Saturday and I will be racing it. Just need to be careful where I set. Raced it in light air Last Tuesday.

Back