Cracked hull

If you are indeed going to do the mast step this winter how you aproach the step will help you decide on what to do about the crack in the hull.

It also depends on the crack; is it superficial / gelcoat, thru hull, related to the step problem?

Give some detailed info and then we can get more specific. As a general reference West Marine has some decent books on glass hull repair. Make sure that you have done your research before you start any project; that way you don't have to explain to your father why his boat has car bondo in it and weighs 50 pounds extra. :)

Hi,

Such cracks do not occur because of just manually slamming the mast in, but may occur if the boat is turtled and the mast tip gets stock in the bottom.

If the crack on the hull itself is structural, you will most likely need to get that repaired professionally.

For repairs of the cracks on the mast step tube itself or between the mast step tube and the hull, structural or not, the sole authoritative and directly relevant Laser source is the drLaser web site. Consult, the "Maintenance & Fitness" section, in particular the articles:

"Repairing cracks on walls and around the mast step"
(by Dave Buckley)

"Minor surgery for hairline cracks in the mast step"
(by Shevy Gunter)

"Minor surgery for severely cracked Laser mast steps"
(byShevy Gunter)

and

"Inspection port installation"
(by Dave Buckley)

The above articles are all available for members of ILCA world-wide. If you are not a member, let me know. Either I can convince you that you should become a member, or at least guide you in the right direction for this part of the work by private correspondence.

The primary technical reference is, of course, the "West System User Manual" © Gougeon Brothers, Inc., which is also available via a link there.

Also relevant for the future may be the article:

"Teflon Wear Strips for the Mast"
(by Jon Deutsch)

and

"How to prevent wear in the mast step?"
in the drLaser FAQ

Good luck,

Shevy Gunter
Editor, drLaser
http://www.drLaser.org

[quote:097a39da1c="drLaser"]Hi,

Such cracks do not occur because of just manually slamming the mast in, but may occur if the boat is turtled and the mast tip gets stock in the bottom.

If the crack on the hull itself is structural, you will most likely need to get that repaired professionally.

For repairs of the cracks on the mast step tube itself or between the mast step tube and the hull, structural or not, the sole authoritative and directly relevant Laser source is the drLaser web site. Consult, the "Maintenance & Fitness" section, in particular the articles:

"Repairing cracks on walls and around the mast step"
(by Dave Buckley)

"Minor surgery for hairline cracks in the mast step"
(by Shevy Gunter)

"Minor surgery for severely cracked Laser mast steps"
(byShevy Gunter)

and

"Inspection port installation"
(by Dave Buckley)

The above articles are all available for members of ILCA world-wide. If you are not a member, let me know. Either I can convince you that you should become a member, or at least guide you in the right direction for this part of the work by private correspondence.

The primary technical reference is, of course, the "West System User Manual" © Gougeon Brothers, Inc., which is also available via a link there.

Also relevant for the future may be the article:

"Teflon Wear Strips for the Mast"
(by Jon Deutsch)

and

"How to prevent wear in the mast step?"
in the drLaser FAQ

Good luck,

Shevy Gunter
Editor, drLaser
http://www.drLaser.org[/quote:097a39da1c]

You see everyone. This is why we need Shevy..!!!

He answers the question.....done.

Thanks Shevy :)

k

Shevy, I am not a member. I am just some guy that likes to sail my boat (or my dad's). I am going to get him to bring his boat up to my house in the next couple weeks. I'll drop you a note when I am about to get into it.

Thanks

Back