Crack on the daggerboard trunk

Ninie

Hello All,

I'm a new member and the proud owner of a 79 Laser. Got it for $250 Cdn as there was repairs to be done on it the previous owner was not able to do. He tought it was a goner. I initially taught that I could at least scavenge the parts but since then discovered that I could repair most of it myself. It's really not that bad and I've already sailed a few time. Replaced all the fixtures, bailer and hull drain. Hull is a different matter and need a brand new coat of gel coat as it is badly scratch (nothing deep but lots and lots of them, obviously the result of years of cottage use).

Anyway, Since starting sailing I've discovered there is a small leak somewhere. I"ve did the air pressure test but nothing shows. The mast step looks intact so the only suspect is a series of crack fanning out of the front of the daggerboard trunk. They look like stress cracks just a bit deeper.

Any advice on repair before I start drilling, sanding and bashing holes were I should not be ?

Thanks

Annie

Any chance you can post a pic or two? Also, did you check for leaks where the deck meets the hull inside the trunk ? (The joint is about an inch or two down on the inside of the trunk, and over time the filler will crack and stop sealing)

The joint looks okay, but I've also noticed a strange little plug just aft of the bailer (I've got the old style cork like plug). It obviously goes through the hull into the aft section of the hull. Some left over silicon on it, but not much... Looks like it could also be a culprit.

Anyway. Pictures of the crack and the strange plug. I had to reduce the resolution but you can still see the cracks.

Annie
:eek:

Attachments

• Leaks 001.jpg
    Leaks 001.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Leaks 002.jpg
    Leaks 002.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Leaks 003.jpg
    Leaks 003.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 77
Annie,

Glad you are on the water. You'll be hooked soon.

Your Centerboard slot cracks are kinda normal, so forget those. That bottom is beat, but could be filled and sanded, but I suggest winter time for that.

The bailer is very suspect. Find a newer boat, or pics at apsltd.com, as I believe that you are misnaming the parts. There never was a "cork plug" for instance.

Assuming the pic you added after, is in the hollow astern of the thru hill fitting/plug, then this is where the bailer screw goes (and will leak without the screw). The bailer is black plastic, and is installed to make this hollow flush, and the to function as a bailer.

Search bailer here, you may find a pic, or order one (50. US$), and follow the directions. Fill this hole with silicone while you wait.

Al Russell 182797

Hi Annie, I agree with Al, the slight stress crack in the front edge of the trunk is not a problem and not the cause of your leak.

If you are sailing in flat, lake type conditions, I wouldn't spend the money on replacing the racing bailer. Instead I would just gob a bunch of silcone around and in the hole where the screw for the bailer use to be. You might also want to do a soapy water leak test in the hole in thru the cockpit where the cork goes, both on the cockpit side and on the bottom side where the black plastic bushing should be. This is another area where the deck meets the hull and is known to leak. If it leaks here, you can try gobbing a bunch of silicone around the bushing inside and out or if that doesn't work, replace the bushing with a new brass one which seals better.

Theres more info on the bushing here
http://laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=1534&highlight=cockpit+bushing

Besides APS, here's another source for the cockpit drain bushing....
http://www.coliesails.com/laser/lsrhdw.html

The cork plug that you are talking about is the cockpit drain plug. (They are usually rubber, but when the break or get lost, it's very common for people to replace them with a piece of cork)

Thanks a lot guys... I was always puzzled by this strange bailer apparatus and found it to kind too simple for an otherwise very well thought sailboat. As for the hull, I have intention of redoing it next winter... simply couldn't foresee a full summer thinkeringwith the boat and not sailing...

I"ve been a sailing instructor for almost 15 years now but mostly on more docile training boats such as the CLs, Albacore and Code 40. This is my first Laser and I love it so far. What a wonderful and responsive sailboat.

I sail in the Bay of quinte (North side of Lake Ontario) close to Kingston. A awesome body of water for sailing. One of the nicesest I've seen. During summer of course.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Annie :cool:

Back