crack in spar

pg_barrett

I just bought a used sunfish and it looked OK but after inspecting it more closely and reading on the Sunfish forum I see that it needs some work. Thanks for the helpful advice on this forum.

I was so busy concentrating on the hull that when I started looking at the boom, spar, and mast I found a taped up section where spar meets mast. When I unwrapped the section I found a crack where the previous owner must have cut it and inserted a dowel to add strength to the broken spar.

Is this the fix? Although it put a little wow in the spar it looks solid, but I am a little nervous about hitting the ocean and having it snap off.

Any help appreciated.

Paul,
I would replace the spar. You may get away with using the spar you have temporaraly by reversing the spar and using as an upper, but not for long. If you do not have a Vanguard dealer near by, someone selling spars either here or e-bay, and you do not plan to race, try obtaining a piece of aluminum tube from a metal supply company. Bring the old tube as a sample to match. Best bet, get a new spar set from Vanguard. Good Luck

I've got to agree with John. While we have done the "dowel the spar" trick for day sailers putting around ponds and small lakes; I definitely would not recommend it for anything over 10 knots of wind or heavy wave conditions. The doweled area is strong but it induces two stress points in the spar where the dowel ends. One good wave or a gust can fold it up.
Also I wouldn't be surprised if you measured the spar and found it several inches shorter than it shoud be. If it wore due to mast contact or bending it's not uncommon to remove a section of damaged spar and dowel the remaining pieces. It does make it hard to "tune" the boat.

If you need to mail order a spar, you might try APS (www.apsltd.com). I've used them to get Laser spars about a year ago. At the time they charged about $30 shipping fee which I gladly paid to get my spar.

Cindy,

I've repaired my spars/boom using an internal sleeve made from scrap boom/spar. I wouldn't suggest you try this unless you're handy with tools, however you'll end up with a much stronger tube. The dowel is a mickey mouse repair. Even if it's a tight fit, it will swell when wet and likely split the tube. I wouldn't go to a metal supply co. Their product won't be anodized, and the oxidation will discolor the sail. You have two options: 1 purchase the proper part ($110.00), or 2 repair the part yourself. If you decide to go this route, I'll advise.

Al Courtines [email protected]

Back