Crack in hull around center board

Thread starter #1
hi, I have a "new" 30 yr old laser. Last in the water in 1989. Seems to be in good shape overall to my inexperienced eye. Has 1 1/2 in crack in hull near front of center board. Shows signs of small amount of fiber glass work done. My theory is that torque from the center board caused the issue. I was planning to stiffen around the interior of the center board sleeve to the hull with fiberglass. After that I would also do a little repair work around the crack on the exterior of the hull. Please feel free to offer suggestions, warnings, and sympathy. Thanks, Dave

Thread starter #2
Just added a photo from inside the laser on the port side looking at the centerboard trunk front. I cut about 2" of the stringer. I'm going to put down glass mat on the bottom and glass the sides of the trunk for support.

Attachments

Rob B

You may be over reacting to a slight stress crack in the exterior gelcoat. They can happen pretty frequently. Typically they are just left alone as there's no water intrusion.

Thread starter #6
She does leak. I'm fairly certain it was from years of standing on the CB to right the boat. I ended up Reinforcing inside and out around the trunk. Next I need to paint the hull. Any suggestions on the best paint to use?

She does leak. I'm fairly certain it was from years of standing on the CB to right the boat. I ended ...........
Good reminder to allow it to take enough time to right the boat if it's not in the race of a lifetime or you are about to crash into something. So little force is needed if water is not "lifted"with the sail.