Crack Filler/levelor?

cortezaero

I'm sanding the entire hull and deck of my sunfish.
I'll be filling in deeper cracks and dings with marine bondo.
However, I have very narrow (can barely feel them) spider cracks all over the boat.
Is there some kind of filler that will fill these cracks in and level out the area?
I basically need to paint the entire boat with a filler like this (if it exists).
Thanks!

If you're going to paint anyway, then West systems "Primekote" is what you want. It's basically a thicker primer. You paint it on as a primer coat, then give it a sanding before you paint. Pretty straightforward. Fills all those spider cracks. Spider cracks are just Sunfish beauty marks.

I just did exactly what you're doing on mine, and accidentally got the thinner prekote primer, so had to do two coats. The primekote would have saved me a step.

I am also working on a 76 hull with the same problems....I decided to go with Pettit Easypoxy Marine paint! I sanded the bottom good after some minor touching up and repair. I did not use a under coat because I felt the sanded finish was OK. I NEVER did any type of boat repairs or painting and my "Roll and Tip" paint job, 2 coats. (got the demo on utube) finished out like my kitchen refrigerator....smooth and no lines or marks, it looked like a new gel-coat job (I was shocked!!!) I decided to do the top deck also to skip the buffing and polishing/waxing stuff and got the same results! That old sad looking boat now looks new. My only concern is how well it will hold up. Gray

I am also working on a 76 hull with the same problems....I decided to go with Pettit Easypoxy Marine paint! I sanded the bottom good after some minor touching up and repair. I did not use a under coat because I felt the sanded finish was OK. I NEVER did any type of boat repairs or painting and my "Roll and Tip" paint job, 2 coats. (got the demo on utube) finished out like my kitchen refrigerator....smooth and no lines or marks, it looked like a new gel-coat job (I was shocked!!!) I decided to do the top deck also to skip the buffing and polishing/waxing stuff and got the same results! That old sad looking boat now looks new. My only concern is how well it will hold up. Gray

That Pettit Easypoxy might outlast you. My dad painted a 1960 plywood runabout with it back in 1968 and although the finish is cracking a little from age it still shines.

Back