Covid: best-practices for sailing clubs

RogerMusser

I am looking for some science-based recommendations by established sailing clubs in how to cope with re-opening the shared use of Sunfish and other boats. Our sailing club on Lake Norman in North Carolina has been closed to all activities since April 1. There were other restrictions in place as early as mid-March. We don't want to open any earlier than is safe nor wait longer than necessary. Our club has some keelboats, Flying Scots, Sunfish, some other small sailboats, kayaks, and paddle boards.

At this time I would like to see what other clubs are doing so that they can safely resume some activities.

- Roger

I am looking for some science-based recommendations by established sailing clubs in how to cope with re-opening the shared use of Sunfish and other boats. Our sailing club on Lake Norman in North Carolina has been closed to all activities since April 1. There were other restrictions in place as early as mid-March. We don't want to open any earlier than is safe nor wait longer than necessary. Our club has some keelboats, Flying Scots, Sunfish, some other small sailboats, kayaks, and paddle boards.

At this time I would like to see what other clubs are doing so that they can safely resume some activities.

- Roger
Sorry I can't help. The clubs I've belonged to here on the Lake all have member-owned boats. PYC will probably have a summer camp-style sailing program but no decision yet as far as I know. I know Lake Norman YC has various small class boats but don't know their protocol either on-going or in this situation. Phase I seems ambiguous for the LKN Community Sailing group.
Clyde

- Roger
Our club has a club owned/member used Sunfish and Laser. There are also a lot of member owned boats. We beach launch and recover and store outside. We have advised all to maintain a proper distance (6') while outside setting up/knocking down, etc.... The boats are stored outside. They typically do not get a lot of use (1-2 times per week). The sails, spars, rudder and daggerboard are in a shed. We will have a spray bottle of disinfectant that should be used on the boat after you put it away. You can also use it before you sail (on the boat as well as everything but the sails). As of now, group activities as well as in person lessons have been cancelled. We are going month by month, one month ahead. So all the May group activities we cancelled in April. We have a meeting next week to talk about June, and so forth for the rest of the summer. We offered our annual sailing school last month, but did it online. Haven't had a chance to get participants out on the water yet. Not sure if and when that will happen. Will have to see how things go as restrictions just started to be lifted this week.

- Roger
This might appear off-topic :oops: but Massachusetts has a very strict sheltering program.

One exception that just came on-line yesterday was their golf courses are "open": one person to a cart, (unless family), must stay in your car until you're called. You must use your own clubs. The shop is closed, and the golf flags are glued-in. :rolleyes:

How'd this happen (?) you might ask.

A well-connected law firm was brought in, and the courses statewide were magically opened.

While this wouldn't normally be an option for a sailing club, you might make the suggestion to the NC Governor that distances with open-air activities around water are more favorable than around golf courses. :cool:

Local golf courses were always open, or nearly always. There were similar rules about sharing equipment, carts, etc.

Our sailing club has shared equipment and we are considering opening some operations. I’m not a decision-maker for club policies but I make the decision as to what I will participate in, of course.

Some things seem simple, like using a kayak or SUP. These will be easiest to do relatively safely.
Using a Sunfish (solo) a little more complicated.
Offering Flying Scot lessons, much more involved.

-Roger

We are quite ready to get back on the water out here in northern California. They recently opened up Spud Point in Bodega Bay to recreational fishing. This is good news but my friend said they were ticketing people along Tomales Bay just two days ago. Both areas are in different counties so there is a bit of inconsistency. Golf courses are opening up in the area which is another good sign. Hope they let us park at Marconi soon as the weather has become really good. In any case, I'm getting back to Wisconsin this summer and my boats are right on the water. The Old Fish is going to get some work and I have a Catalina Cyclone 13 that I'm getting back on the water. I'm straying a little from the original topic here....

Attachments

• 20190714_194734.jpg
    20190714_194734.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 35

Back