Country flag on sail issue

Olicroft

For a inlands event in the UK would I need to remove a previous owners national flag that isn't the Union Jack. I have already removed the lettering but the flag is proving far more messier and difficult. Thanks in advance.

You don't need to remove it for a national level regatta, unless the Notice Of Race says so. You don't even have to have the "right" (or any) national letters; all you need is the sail number to be that of the hull, or another hull that you own.

Purely technically, acetone works.

_

Somewhat off-topic
The rule about the matching of sail and hull numbers does not seem to be observed across the board at lower level regattas in the USA (Wavedancer’s playing field). Fine with me; and I wonder whether it matters at all?
PS: The reason being that people get a new(er) hull but have sails left from the prior boat

Last edited:
Somewhat off-topic
The rule about the matching of sail and hull numbers does not seem to be observed across the board at lower level regattas in the USA (Wavedancer’s playing field). Fine with me; and I wonder whether it matters at all?
PS: The reason being that people get a new(er) hull but have sails left from the prior boat
I gave up in frustration in Australia in the minor regattas. Ultimately it is a safety issue. If you fail to sign off, we come looking first in the boat park for your boat and we will not have your hull number if it does not match your sail number you registered with. Possibly not an issue in pleasant weather, but in nasty weather we need to go back on the water and search for you.

Back