Could Use a Little Help....

M. Smith Jr.

I have been working on my Sunfish in school, and I came across a problem.

I flipped it over to paint the bottom and noticed the a bolt was missing that holds the rudder assembly to the hull. Take a look...
1129111018 copy.jpg

1129111018a.jpg

Now I have no clue where the bolt is or how I could fix it. I figured I am most likely going to have to install a Inspection Port to fix it. And I'm going to have to track down a Bolt for it....

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Thanks,
Michael

Michael,

Given that you have the old style (pre-1972) rudder attachment fittings, the bronze keel plate actually attaches to the keel with a large, flat head brass screw (no bolt). The hole in the photo looks larger than it is supposed to be but that can be fixed. Fill the hole with thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency) and let it cure. Sand the area flush to the keel and position your bronze keel plate over the filled area and drill a hole somewhat smaller than the (new) flat head brass screw that you are going to buy at your local True Value hardware store. Gently screw the keel plate back on and you are good to go - no inspection port needed. If you are missing any of the hardware items, e-mail me at: [email protected] as I have them in stock at reasonable prices.
Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Michael,

Given that you have the old style (pre-1972) rudder attachment fittings, the bronze keel plate actually attaches to the keel with a large, flat head brass screw (no bolt). The hole in the photo looks larger than it is supposed to be but that can be fixed. Fill the hole with thickened epoxy (peanut butter consistency) and let it cure. Sand the area flush to the keel and position your bronze keel plate over the filled area and drill a hole somewhat smaller than the (new) flat head brass screw that you are going to buy at your local True Value hardware store. Gently screw the keel plate back on and you are good to go - no inspection port needed. If you are missing any of the hardware items, e-mail me at: [email protected] as I have them in stock at reasonable prices.
Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Alan,

Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it turns out....

Thanks again,
Michael

Back