Could this be the one?

Heeler

Wondering if I should pick this up. First sailboat purchase. Any thoughts on items needed replacement on 20 year old boat. Says it is in great shape.

1999 LASER
Off-white hull, deck and sails. It has a standard rig and Radial rig with sail bags. Daggerboard, rudder, tiller and tiller extension with protective carrying case. Boat cover and all sheets. Also includes a Kitty Hawk trailer. Plus dynamic aluminum dolly Asking $3,000.

Seems a bit steep, but the sale does include the trailer & dolly, so I guess it's worth it if you have the money. Two rigs as well, which gives ya some options or latitude when it comes to sailing, especially if you have kids or whatever. Just my $.02, FWIW. Cheers!!! :rolleyes:

P.S. Try to knock down the price a bit, LOL... ;)

I was hoping you would say that it was steep! Will do. Thanks so much for chiming in. I’ll keep you posted!

If there are no flaws in the gelcoat, no soft spots on the deck or portholes for that matter, sails are crisp and somewhat new (last 5 years) updated rigging with pretty good sheeting and controls, then it might be hard to to go much lower considering there are 2 rigs. But if there are dings and wear, and I would try to find many, then you will have some leverage to barter lower. Definitely do a water test in the mast hole, make sure the trailer is sound and register-able, sails are in good shape on both rigs, and if they are....then get prepared to get excited because you will be sailing on your first boat! Good Luck, send pics if you can, especially the one with you breaking a bottle of Champagne over the bow to christen! Skål!

If you could post pictures (or links to pictures) of the boat, then we could tell what's wrong with it (if anything) ;)

_

Good Luck, send pics if you can, especially the one with you breaking a bottle of Champagne over the bow to christen! Skål!

Will a bottle of beer work? LOL... maybe a tinny, so the gelcoat doesn't get dinged up, aye? :rolleyes:

Somehow that evokes a dim memory of a show or movie where a gal struck the bow of a ship and caused some damage... :confused:

Caddyshack is a Classic! Maybe a little 1/5 bottle (airline quality-but not plastic) would work over the bow eye! The racks at Total Wine/BevMo for travel size bottles are getting out of control, but there should be a fun size for your liking. ;)

I don't think many people these days truly cherish their first boat purchase, including a proper christening. It should be celebrated, with friends and family, no matter how small the boat. It sure beats watching/reading crap and getting depressed from the current state we are in. I'm not one for social distancing, except during a christening, those champagne shards seem to fly everywhere!:rolleyes:

Good advice so far.
Considering all that is included and assuming that the boat and trailer are in good shape (see the post by ProATC), I find the asking price reasonable and it may well be negotiable.

Yeah, it happens... but another will be along soon enough, I think many boats are being sold during this current situation. :confused:

Thanks for the encouragement! I will keep the faith. I know there is an amazing boat out there somewhere with my name on it. What are your thoughts about the boats that are turned over in a sailing school? Too banged up perhaps?

Caddyshack is a Classic! Maybe a little 1/5 bottle (airline quality-but not plastic) would work over the bow eye! The racks at Total Wine/BevMo for travel size bottles are getting out of control, but there should be a fun size for your liking. ;)

I don't think many people these days truly cherish their first boat purchase, including a proper christening. It should be celebrated, with friends and family, no matter how small the boat. It sure beats watching/reading crap and getting depressed from the current state we are in. I'm not one for social distancing, except during a christening, those champagne shards seem to fly everywhere!:rolleyes:

All I'm thinking about is breaking that champagne over the bow of a laser! and bringing another on board!

Well, boats from sailing schools definitely receive more abuse, but you might find a decent boat that way... probably have to throw down more than the asking price just to bring her up to speed. :confused:

You'll wanna inspect such a boat more closely too, due to the fact that she has been sailed by a bunch of novices... hard landings, possible groundings, ugly flying gybes, things of that nature will stress test a boat. :eek:

Back